Spicy meatloaf?

Jason H.

TVWBB Member
Anyone have a really good recipe for a spicier meat loaf? If not spicy but a really good meatloaf recipe with temps on an 18" wsm that would be great!

Jason you can make any dish spicy, with meatloaf I think I would just add a teaspoon or more if you want really spicy of crushed red pepper flakes. Don't forget pics.

Ok, thinking about it I think I am going to use Alton Browns Good Eats meatloaf recipe, add a little cayenne pepper and a little siracha!

The Siracha is great as is a bit of Sambal Oelek. Some finely diced jalapeno is also a nice addition.

I have had great results with the meatloaf recipe in the Plank Grilling Cookbook (meatloaf on a Cedar Plank is terrific and this recipe is REALLY good). Here is the Amazon reference:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004S7BL4K/thevirtualweberb

I won't put the recipe on the internet (it is copyrighted) but if you write me direct, I'll share it with you. I found the book is well worth the modest cost, by the way. It is written from the prospective of a gas griller, but I found that the recipes work just as well on my OTG...

FWIW
Dale53:wsm:

The Siracha is great as is a bit of Sambal Oelek. Some finely diced jalapeno is also a nice addition.

Yes and don't forget to leave the seeds and the pulp in as part of the sliced pepper.

A method I have found that also works well is Salsa. Hot, medium or mild. I will often use 1-2 cups of salsa in my meat loaf. It adds a lot of flavor and heat if you use the hot.

Last edited:
o-HEINZ-JALAPENO-KETCHUP-facebook_zps731f1f9d.jpg

Paul Prudhomme’s Cajun Meatloaf has a little heat with cayenne and Tabasco in it, but it may be a bit "soupy" for cooking on the grill (if that is what you intend). You can find the recipe online.

But no matter what meatloaf you make, you can serve it with Prudhomme's Very Hot Cajun Sauce for Beef, and it will be hot as Hades. It takes some time to make, but it packs a ton of flavor. You can dial the heat up or down as desired.

Even with just the basic 1/4 cup of minced jalapeno pepper, it is plenty hot.

Very Hot Cajun Sauce for Beef

3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper -- (preferably cayenne)
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup minced jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 cups beef stock

Note: Fresh jalapenos are preferred; if you have to use pickled ones, rinse as much vinegar from them as possible.

Combine the onions, bell peppers and celery in a small bowl and set aside.

Make a roux as follows: In a heavy 2-quart saucepan heat the oil over medium-low heat to about 250 degrees. With a metal whisk, whisk in the flour a little at a time until smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until roux is light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and with a spoon immediately stir in the vegetable mixture and the red, white and black peppers; return pan to high heat and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the bay leaves, jalapeno peppers and garlic, stirring well. Continue cooking about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. The mixture should be pasty. Remove from heat.

In a separate 2-quart saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the roux mixture by spoonfuls to the boiling stock, stirring until dissolved between each addition. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce reduces to 3 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Skim any oil from the top and serve immediately.

Back