Speed butt

G

I started a largish (7.5 lb) butt at 8:00AM, and I need to take if off around 6:00 PM. I'm holding a dome temp of about 250, and I don't think 10:00 hours will be enough.

I'm going to a cook rack of ribs this afternoon, as well, so I can't just jack up the temp of the smoker.

If I wrap the butt in foil after 6 or 7 hours will that speed up the cooking enough, or should I pull it and finish it in the oven at higher temp? Any other ideas?

Personally I would finish in the oven. Just to be sure. I would foil in the oven for the higher temperature. It will diminish the bark but like I say just to be sure....

Clark

Just run the temp up in the cooker...275 or more.

foil when meat internal is 175 or so, it'll finish 1-2 hours after that...

Ribs can easily be cooked at 275 dome temp too.

And if the butt doesn't get all the way topulling temperture, just chop it. I'll be fine.

I don't foil butts but you certainly can. ~275 is sufficient for me to get good rendering and a shorter cook. Foiling does speed the cook further, though, so that's an option. You can do the ribs at the same temps. Those are the temps I use for spares; I go 50 degrees hotter for backs.

Thanks for the tips. I'm taking this to a party, and it looks like the departure time may move up, so I'm going with the oven. Won't be great, but it'll be predictable.

I've only had my WSM for a short time. I think I've developed enough confidence to let it run overnight the next time I need barbecue early.

Back