Spares - Round 2

Round 1 (early January) was a success based on wife's comments but I knew they weren't quite as good as they should have been.

With help and comments from many of you, I did another rack today. Temps outside were in the 40's but the wind was blowing 25 - 35mph. Fortunately I was not directly in the wind but it was still a bit of a pain.

Used MM with 20 bricks to start and cooked at 245 - 250 measured at the vent (235 at the grate)for 5 and 3/4 hours. Put the spares on as soon as I placed the lit brickets in the pan. I also used water. Used 3 chunks of apple wood for smoke and regular kingsford for charcoal.

I never opened the cover until I was ready to test them. The prob slipped easily thru the membrane between the ribs so I pronounced them done.

When biting into the ribs there was a little pull and the meat came off the bones cleanly. These were so much much better than the first try. I'll be a happy camper if I can replicate the results again

Sorry no pix and very few leftovers (darn)

Thanks again for all your feedback on my previous endeavor. You helped make this one a resounding success!!

Sounds like you nailed those spares. You dont remove the membrane?

And if you only can keep that feeling fresh "The prob slipped easily thru the membrane between the ribs so I pronounced them done" you can pull em perfect everytime.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You dont remove the membrane? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wenatchee - Sound like you nailed them!
Daniel - Know a lot do but I don't remove the membrane either. I like the texture.

Congrats, Frank!

Like Daniel(Wolgast) said - be familiar with how the inserted probe feels when the ribs are done. That way, you can repeat your rib success over & over again.

Not a fan of the membrane. Always remove it from ribs.

Same goes for other cooks too. Pork shoulder (Boston Butt) and beef brisket doneness can also be determined this way.

Keep on cookin'!
icon_cool.gif

Way to go , Frank, and welcome to the forum.
A request, please add your location to your profile. in many cases this is helpful.
If security is a concern, then don't. Witness relocation can be so inconvenient.
Congratulations on a successful cook. Great lesson learned.
A caveat, however. I am sure that you are aware of this, but there may be someone out there (like myself) that will depend on time and temp being the perfect indication of perfectly done food.
You made careful note of those factors, and they are informative, but they are NOT definitive.
The probe is the key.
Thank you for your post....where are the pics?

Just a quick clarification regarding "the probe between the membrane" comment ... I did pull the membrane off before the smoke ... I meant to say that it slipped in easily between the ribs ...

My location is Wenatchee, Wa. for those who are asking and I have updated my profile to show the same.

Yes, next time I will hopefully have pictures but sometimes hunger gets in the way.

Regarding the rub, I use the basic rib rub in Steve Raichlin's (sp) book but added a wee bit more celery salt that was suggested. I rubbed the ribs two hours before putting them on the WSM. For spares round 1, I rubbed the the evening before and thought they were too salty.

Lastly, I learn alot from this forum and want to share my results too. If I need to provide more details, please let me know what info I should provide and I will do my best to do so

Thanks again

Glad the ribs turned out great for you.

I've tried Steve Raichlin's rub but instead of celery salt I use celery seeds, don't remember if he also uses garlic salt or not but if he did I would have just used granulated garlic. If you leave the salt out of the rub and just salt the meat before applying the rub, as you would normally salt your food, then you don't have to worry about over salting your meat .

Back