Spare Ribs

G

I'm thinking of doing some spare ribs this weekend. I've done a few cooks on my WSM but not ribs yet for some reason. Any suggestions on time, wood and heat etc?

Thanks
Dave

Ive only done spares twice but its around 6hours or so around 250*.
A lot of people here do the 3-2-1 method which is 3 hours in the wsm with rub
2 hours wrapped in foil in the wsm
(with applejuice or your choice)
1 hour unwrapped to crisp up and not be mushy after being in the foil basting.
I haven't tried it yet but it seeems to yield great results.

If you do a search for spares you will come up with A LOT of info.

Good luck

The 3-2-1 is just a guideline too. I would watch putting spares in foil for 2 hrs.
Last time I did it, the WSM temps took off because I had to remove the lid for too long. I went almost 2 hrs and they were too done for me. I couldn't even put them back on fo rthe last hour to firm up.
Might try 1 - 1 1/2 hrs if you do it that way until you learn your timing there.
I didn't foil the last time at all, and they turned out alright.

Dave,
I don't bother with foil since it seems to steam the ribs and overcook the meat.

You can go to the guide on this site and find excellent help for learning how to prep and cook ribs. Basically, make sure you remove the back membrane, put on a rub and put in the smoker. They will take about 5 to 6 hrs. Start to spray with apple juice about halfway thru, and spray about once an hr after that. Check for doneness by running a toothpick thru the meat at about the five hr. mark. Try in various parts of the ribs. Once it runs thru like going into soft butter you're good to go.

I like oak, maple, or apple. Pretty much anything but mesquite will be good. Just don't use too much wood for smoke.

Have fun and let us know the results.

I've cooked ribs a few times and the last time they finally came out the way I like them. I basically did them exactly how Erich says. Took 6 hours. I'm too lazy to use foil but I do spray with Apple Juice about every hour after the first 2 hours. Good luck.

- Steve

Like some of the posters above, I use a slightly modified version of 3-2-1. For me, it's usually 3 hours in smoke @ 225, one hour in foil at 225, and a high heat finish until done (usually about 30 mins).

Dave, there is no right or wrong answer when cooking ribs. Some people like them nice and mushy. Competition cooks look for a tender rib with a slight "tug" to them. I also prefer mine with a little tug. My wife and kids prefer them falling off the bone tender. We're all different here.

You need to try out the different methods and decide which one works for you. Me personally, I light the smoker, rub the ribs and put them right on while it comes up to temp. Don't base or flip them at all. When they come off the smoker I brush them *lightly* with a thinned-out sauce, wrap them in foil until ready to eat, then serve 'em. I've tried the foil method and I personally don't care for it, but will use it when I'm pressed for time and want to speed up the cook.

Experiment, experiment, then experiment some more! Heck, even a bad batch is better than anything a restaurant serves!!!
icon_wink.gif

anyone have experience or links to recipes that are a bit more unusual? I want to do more spares but I just dont want the normal rub/sauce/smoke...make more fruity or something.

Anyone have different rubs and/or sauces for spares with success?

thx

If you want your ribs to be delic in a different way, try Danny G's Glaze

Ribs - Danny Gaulden's Modified Rib Glaze 5-10-2003

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar -- to 1/3

Posted by Danny on May 10, 2003 at 15:18:33:

Your pork will turn out with that deep, shiny, burnt cherry look, and the mustard is enough for flavoring, without turning the meat yellow.

All ingredients need to be mixed at room temperature to prevent separation. Heat until it gets to a simmer and stir a few times during the process. Allow to rest until cool, for this makes it thicken and stick to the meat better. Enjoy.

Apply to ribs IMMEDIATELY after taking them off the pit. One heavy glaze will do. Use a pastry brush. (I use a silicone bruch)

If using glaze on butts, loins, or tenderloins, apply a couple of times about 20 minutes or so before removing meat from pit, then once again after meat is off. This is if you are cooking indirect, not over direct heat.

Back