Spare rib pieces

Dave R

TVWBB Fan
There may be a post talking about this but I wasn't able to find it.

I have a fun filled weekend of smoking coming up...thinking of doing spare ribs on Saturday, chicken on Sunday and on Memorial Day, maybe grill some steaks (using my gas grill and not the smoker). For the spare ribs, my are not trimmed. I am wondoring, after trimming to St. Louis style, what do you do with the cut offs (not talking about the fat but the extra meat parts)?

Dave

I sometimes smoke them and have them as snacks while the ribs are getting done. Cut them up into pieces and enjoy.

I save them and use it to make sausage when I get about 4 pounds. I have also smoked them with the ribs for about two hours and then put them in the beans.

They can also be cubed and added to your bean mix ( ie pork and beans). Adds a wonderful smoky taste to the beans without having to actually smoke the beans).

I usually don't cut my ribs St Louis style but I do trim up my racks of ribs a bit. I usually with smoke up my trimmings and add them to some baked beans, or greens. Of course if there is a lot trimmings or not enough to add to side dishes they become pit master privileges (snacks)

We freeze 'em, and then when my wife makes sauce for pasta, we use 'em to flavor the sauce. She simmers the sauce for a couple of hours. It gives the sauce a nice flavor.

Back