Sous Vide + WSK

Looks good.....tell me about the texture of the meat.....
I tried sous vide a few times, mostly with steak and found it turned the protein into a less desirable texture.
I also could have been drinking every time I tried it.....
The texture was perfect. Crazy tender.

One thing I did do was to drain off the marinade before putting it into the water. I was worried about it over marinating. Kept bath time to 90 minutes.

The texture was perfect. Crazy tender.

One thing I did do was to drain off the marinade before putting it into the water. I was worried about it over marinating. Kept bath time to 90 minutes.
Maybe I was leaving it in the water too long, my guide recommended up to 2 to 2.5 hours.
I would cook it at 125 for about 2 hours and my nice cuts would seem to come out tough each time.
Maybe give it one more round......
Sous Vide seems like a convenience mostly, on the other hand indirect with some fresh charcoal does the same ting but allows a nice flavour to attach to the steak, then sear............don't know.
Good looking piece of beef again for sure.

With sous vide, if your set point is 125F, it will never cook beyond that point, regardless of how long you SV it. The longer you SV, the more tender the protein becomes, and some proteins can become mushy and fall apart if cooked too long. SV is very lenient as far as cooking time goes. The protein does not get the Maillard reaction from SV, so after SV, broiling, grilling, pan frying, or searing with a chef's torch adds that touch. I typically SV ribs and roasts with SPOG at 143F for 12 - 16hrs or longer, dry with paper towels, then sauce, smoke, and grill them. They are already completely cooked coming out of the SV so it doesn't take very long on the grill, depending on how hot the grill is. Grilling/broiling "tightens" the protein and improves the mouth feel.

Also, some people are sensitive to the color of proteins...ie, if it's red, it's undercooked. My wife is like that, hence my 143F cooking temp.

Also, the longest I have ever SV'ed something was a chuck roast...32hrs. That was the only time I've ever had a bag fail. I used to vacuum seal the protein, but the bag came apart after 32hrs along the factory welded edge...the weld failed. I now use ziploc gallon-sized freezer bags after removing the air. I use this Rubbermaid Commercial Food Storage Container with the lid for SV and I make sure the sealed edge of the bags is captured by the snap on lid. I use a couple of towels around the container if it's going overnight.

There are a lot more options available now than when I bought this in 2015.

1705188375590.png

This Lipavi L10 rack fits the container perfectly and allows water circulation around all sides.

1705188633841.png

Also, the longest I have ever SV'ed something was a chuck roast...32hrs. That was the only time I've ever had a bag fail. I used to vacuum seal the protein, but the bag came apart after 32hrs along the factory welded edge...the weld failed. I now use ziploc gallon-sized freezer bags after removing the air. I use this Rubbermaid Commercial Food Storage Container with the lid for SV and I make sure the sealed edge of the bags is captured by the snap on lid. I use a couple of towels around the container if it's going overnight.

The one long cook I did was a rack of beef ribs for about 32hrs, IIRC. I was nervous and double bagged them.

Below are pictures of my sous vide setup, I repurposed a canning pot. Inside is a 14.2# ham that I heated to 100 deg. F for 90 minutes and finished on the grill in a oven bag until the internal temp reached 100 deg. F. The ham always comes out juicy, never dry.

IMG_1054.jpgIMG_1055.jpgIMG_1057.jpgIMG_1058.jpg

Back