Soo's Pork Butt Recipe

CDellasega

So I am planning on trying out Harry Soo's pulled pork recipe tomorrow. This will be the first time I try smoking without water in the pan, I plan on using aluminum foil to catch the drippings. Any first time suggestions? Thanks!

I've stopped putting water in my pan a LONG time ago. I will just spritz several times over the first few hours then let her ride to 203. Good luck!

I'd recommend putting a clay saucer in your defuser. I actually have two in mine, first one goes in upside down and the top one right side up. Mine are 10"

If provides stability holding temperature

I don't use ANYthing in my water pan. I foil it with two layers with an air space in between to keep from burning the grease that falls in the pan.

I have no problem maintaining my temps. I follow Harry Soo's recipe - you cannot do better, IMO!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Totally agree with Robert's comments.

If I was to recommend anything at all it would be to cook to tenderness, not doneness, then let cool to around 170 before wrapping back up.
OH... Most importantly... Enjoy !

Just foil the pan for easy cleanup and go. Harry doesn't use diffusers, doesn't use an air space between layers of foil. Just keep a close eye on the temp and control it on the way up and you'll be fine. You'll have some mighty fine pork to enjoy!

Thanks for the input! It's in right now and I have been able to consistently keep it around 250. I'll post pics when it's done!

Back