So you've just pulled your pork....

JimMcG

TVWBB Member
...what's your favorite way to serve it? Straight up with sauce on the side, or do you mix anything in with it?

I've always done straight up, letting the eater sauce up how they like but I'm wondering if I could be doing something more to make it better.

Yikes....I shoulda searched first! Looks like there's plenty of info out there. Sorry for a dupe thread. If an admin can delete this, please feel free.

its always up for discussion. i'm not much of a sauce guy. i usually put it in a bun without sauce. i use cole slaw to add a bit of flavor and the combo is what i like. over sauced stuff just doesn't do it for me. i do like viniger so i suppose i would like a viniger/mustard type thing.

I'm definitely not looking to make goopy pulled pork...that definitely sickens me. Personally I do cole slaw with just a little squirt of some sweet/ish sauce.

I was just thinking maybe I could so something to subtly give the meat a little boost of flavor. Seems like most folks will use some sort of vinegar or apple juice solution, or sprinkle on a little bit of the same rub used.

I really don't want to overdo it. My son graduates high school a week from tomorrow and we're having a BBQ for him the following day (coincidentally it's WSM Smoke Day). Family and friends over so I know it's not the time to be taking any chances. I put a butt on last night at midnight and it's nearly done. It's being real reluctant to pop from the 180s into the 190s so I can get it off. Anyway, it's destined for the freezer once pulled so I can have it for the bbq along with some ribs that I'll do that day.

In the past, I just pull it and it's served from the conatiner it was put in. Usually just have folks line up and use some tongs to put the pork on their buns. I usually have two or three sauces on the side for folks to choose from.

However, I smoked a couple of bone-in butts a couple of weeks ago and I would up saving some of the drippings to make a finishing sauce. I wound up mixing the sauce in very lightly into the entire batch and really liked it this way. It did add a subtle sauce flavor, but the pork still shines through. More than that, I think it made for much better leftovers.

My wife makes great slaw, but I like meat and bun, very light sauce. She piles on the slaw and sauce.

I've learned that sprinkling a small amount of rub (I use Wolfe Rub Orig.)on the pulled pork and then mixing it in by hand adds nice subtle flavor. Taste it and add a little more until it suits you.

T.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Finishing sauce, just a T or two per handful of PP during pulling, to even the texture, moisture and flavor. Sauces, per se, I serve on the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same here.

I use a finishing sauce of Sweet Baby Ray's cut with Apple Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar (2:2:1). Might be too thin for some.

Frankly, in my world, nobody's hungry after the final shred is pulled...! "First Night" is <STRIKE>usually</STRIKE> ALWAYS sort of a Cro-Magnon fresh-from-the-kill eat-with-your-fingers free-for-all...

Need I say that there's FOUR butts on the burner at the moment--and NO dinner plans!
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Finishing sauce, just a T or two per handful of PP during pulling, to even the texture, moisture and flavor. Sauces, per se, I serve on the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might give this a shot...this was one stubborn piece of meat! 17hrs...longest it's ever taken (this was a 8 or 9 pound butt, I forget). I just pulled it and put it in a few foodsaver bags. No reason I can't work in a little of this finishing sauce after I reheat the meat, is there?

Jim, I always sprinkle it with extra rub and about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of the tweeked no 5 sauce. Mix it all together while it's still hot. Great stuff!!!
icon_eek.gif

Finishing sauce during pulling. Then serve with three or so different sauces on the side. I never sauce directly. I really don't like it that way myself and dislike when it's served that way and will often pass it up. I especially don't like when it is all thrown in a pan and warmed or held in a sweet, sticky, sauce.

I like to give people a choice and since I make my own sauces I usually have several available or only have to make the one I am out of. I like to have 3 different distinct styles available.

I pull it and serve it with sauce and rub on the side.

I don't want to add to it en mass because I might use some of the meat in a non-BBQ recipe.

I use the 'Vaulted Vinegar' sauce recipe but leave out the hot pepper. So basically vinegar, brown sugar and black pepper (by memory).

I feel it cuts any grease/oil.

Then let the diner decide on their sauce. We serve the full strength vaulted vinegar, a carolina red sauce and then a sweet sauce (Masterpiece thinned with vinegar and rub added)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Jim, I always sprinkle it with extra rub and about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of the tweeked no 5 sauce. Mix it all together while it's still hot. Great stuff!!!
icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks....keeping all of this in mind!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete B:
I hope someone besides me laughed their head off after reading the thread title... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, I try
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
I never sauce directly. I really don't like it that way myself and dislike when it's served that way and will often pass it up. I especially don't like when it is all thrown in a pan and warmed or held in a sweet, sticky, sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much exactly how I feel about it...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
I like to give people a choice and since I make my own sauces I usually have several available or only have to make the one I am out of. I like to have 3 different distinct styles available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not the king of sauces but I know I have some Sweet Baby Rays & Stubbs in the fridge. Also have some home cooked Neely's sauce in a squirt bottle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Smithson:
I use the 'Vaulted Vinegar' sauce recipe but leave out the hot pepper. So basically vinegar, brown sugar and black pepper (by memory). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not familiar with "Vaulted Vinegar"

Back