So what are you cooking on the 4th?

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
I did a search and didn't see any threads like this, well for this year anyway, so I thought I would start one up.

My dad wants to hang out as his place (and I can't complain, he lives on the water and has a huge deck and a brand new infrared grill) so I plan on doing two racks of spares and to go with them I'm going to try Mike Mills' Tangy Pit Beans and braised kale from our CSA basket this week. I doctor the kale up with more than a few strips of bacon, apple cider vinegar, and Frank's.

For the first rack, I'm going to try this relatively simple recipe I found on Serious Eats. For something a tad more experimental I'm going to try out K Kruger's Rib Rub and also tack on the vinegar/water re-rub idea and see how that turns out. I was actually considering adding some freshly ground espresso to Kevin's recipe. Hey Kevin if you're lurking around out there, do you think that would merry with the other flavors you have going on in your rub?

I'll probably smoke them for about 5 hours over hickory (usually smoke over apple, changing it up) and then foil them for transfer over to my dad's place. I'll reheat them on the grill and then apply the sauce to the first rack and bathe and re-rub the second.

I really wanted to make a Mint Julep on the 4th, but I'm not sure I feel like lugging all the crap with me to make a decent one. Otherwise it will be a beer or five.

So, what are you doing?

On the 3rd I am doing 2 pork butts served with mac & cheese and coleslaw.

On the 4th, beer. Might make some ABTs for a party I'm going to, but might just take the day off cooking.

Going to someone's house but I am taking ribs and ABT's that I will be doing on my kettle performer and platinum. Will have to get both fires going, doing about 6 racks.

The Missus will fix one side, and I'll probably grill some corn on the cob to go along with some smoked yardbird:

...split chickens w/ white sauce, which I haven't done in a while...

OR

...Chris Lilly's recipe for loaf pan whole chickens, which sounds appealing and really easy. Going by what he says in his book, "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book", it sounds like it's Chris' answer to beer can chicken, so I might give it a try.

Originally posted by Regina S:
Going to someone's house but I am taking ribs and ABT's

There ya go!
icon_cool.gif

I'm going to my Dads house and taking the kettle. Right now the plan is to do a mess of wings and ABT's.
I've got a recipe for Crab-stuffed mushrooms that I think I'm going to try also. My sister will probably bring some kind of finger-food also - maybe a veggie tray.

Making pepperoni rolls for my buddies BBQ on Saturday, then overnighting 2 butts on Saturday night for a BBQ at our house on Sunday for some family..Also gonna have some beer brats on Sunday as well!

Oh and doing some spares on July 4th for the wife and I!

Going to try my first brisket on the new WSM tomorrow. I've done a few on electric Brinkmanns in the past but looking forward to my first attempt with a WSM. I've never done ABT's, but they sound good, so I may try some of those as well. I need to get some practice before Monday Night Football resumes (hopefully on time).

If I find a good price I am going to try a brisket on my Weber Kettle Grill.

Going to try it at 325-350 deg. indirect.

I/We are doing Pulled Pork Sammies, Barbies' Beans beneath Butts, Eric Warren's Potato Salad v.2.0, and some sort of grilled dessert. Maybe Peaches, maybe Pineapple, dunno yet.

Gonna do 2 Butts, and a real big pan of beans.
Will freeze any leftovers.

God Bless the USA!!

In the St Louis area you would be ran out of town on a rail if you didn't do some pork steaks.
Had a butt sliced into extra thick ones just today.

A tri tip is also on the cook list.

Want to make Mexican corn on the cob, but not sure where to find cotija cheese. May have to sub Parmesan for it.

Originally posted by Bob Correll:
In the St Louis area you would be ran out of town on a rail if you didn't do some pork steaks.

When we lived in southern Illinois, not far from St. Louis, MAUL's was the sauce you used for the pork steaks. Shame on me...I haven't grilled any in a long time.

My Brother is flying in from the east coast so I'm doing 3 racks St Louis, 4 racks beef back ribs, a bunch of ABT's, brown sugar bourbon peaches w/vanilla icecream for desert and a few blueberry fatties for breakfast the next day.

Ribs, ribs ribs. Three slabs going on HH early on the 4th, or I may smoke them the night before, foil & put into the fridge overnight. Then, put foil packs onto grill to warm up & glaze sauce over charcoal, since I am cooking burgers, dogs & chicken thighs anyway.

I am entrusting my extended family to wow me with awesome side dishes.

Friday night 2 butts from Costco are going on the smoker for lunch on Saturday,
Dinner on Saturday,
Lunch on Sunday,
Dinner on Sunday,
Lunch on Monday...
You get the idea.

Just made 16 pounds of pulled pork, but going to WV and my Dad is making baby backs for the family. He is talking about getting a WSM this weekend! Think he's tired of seeing all my pics.

really simple this year . Gonna do 2 racks of ribs with Famous Daves rub and sauce with tater salad ,beans and deviled eggs

The Sunday before the 4th each year I have a few friends over from NYC (They think of it as going to the "country"
icon_wink.gif
. Each year I try to do something a little different. This year I'm planning Lomo al trapo and Paella de mariscos, done on the OTG. Wish me luck! Will post with pics if all turns out well.

Back