So this is what all the fuss was about - NICE!

Richard F

TVWBB Member
This weekend I cooked my first pair of pork butts. I had a lot of trepidation, but everyone on here just kept saying, it can't get easier than doing pork butts, so I went for it.

I used Texas BBQ brisket rub on Worcestershire sauce and started the charcoal with the Minion Method. I used Mesquite and actually added some Hickory I hadn't used from a previous cook.

It was 13 combined pounds that I cooked for 11 hours as slow as I could keep it. It stayed mostly between 275 and 300 degrees with the bottom 3 vents either closed or only 25% open.

And it was outstanding. I made a vinegar based finishing sauce that people could add as desired and I got more compliments that I could ever have imagined. We had a vendor who raised his own pigs etc... and I gave him a sandwich. He went wild over the taste.

Sorry, just had to brag and I wanted to thank this board for all of the advice that I have been getting from all you Pros.

Thank you.

Congrats! This forum taught me everything I know about bbq'ing. So much so I cringe sometimes at shows on TV (some know exactly what they're doing, some ... we'll leave it at that!).

next up, some baby backs or spares! Go for it, it's a real crowd pleaser

Thanks again all.

Joe, I have done BB's twice, but both times they were enhanced. And even though I did the rub from this site, it tasted like ham.

I plan on doing them again when I can find them in my small town NOT enhanced.

But this site really does get you up to speed pretty fast. I have done 6 cooks and I don't think I would have tried 2 without the information and encouragement from here.

Richard, Congrats on the Butt cook, glad to hear it ROCKED!
icon_cool.gif
I'm a huge fan of the Texas BBQ Rubs. Next up Brisket?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Don't knock it til ya tried it! Corned beef is certainly one way to prepare a brisket, but not the only way!

True to my southern roots, I used to be absolutely convinced that pork was the only way to barbecue. But I've made a couple of briskets now on my WSM and let me tell ya.. them Texas boys got this one right!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard F:
Isn't Brisket what they use to make Corned Beef? I don't think I will go that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Richard, To say the 2 are apples and oranges would be a HUGE! understatement. They are worlds apart from one another. A smoked brisket is so not anything like corned beef. I hope you change your mind, because you would be missing out on some awsome BBQ'd beef.
icon_wink.gif

Tony,

I can only wish.

Bryan and Dan,

I will try it. I am watching sales right now to decide what I smoke next. If brisket is a deal, I am in to try anything right now.

Doing Roadside Chicken today per the Grilling forum. Hope I don't burn anything but the chicken.

Richard

Back