Snowy butts are on!

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
Just put a couple of butts on for an overnighter. Hoping they'll be ready by lunchtime. We got snow, but I don't think it's anywhere near the 6 to 14 that were possible. It may snow a bit more later tonight or tomorrow, but the WSM and I aren't afeared.

I'm doing it the old fashioned way since i have absolutely zero faith in my ability to use the guru at this point (I ended up annoying the neighbors with the alarm last time, and they unplugged it). Might slap on the silver bullet jacket later on cuz it may get windy later.

Susan, for future cooks, you can turn the alarms off by turning power off on the Guru... Wait several seconds, then press the power button again and immediately press and hold the "Alarm Silence" button for at least a second. When you release the "AS" button, the Guru will power back up and the alarms will be disabled. This is appropriately called the "Good Neighbor" feature.
icon_smile.gif

I tried that the first time, and it still (apparently) squawked its head off, so, just to be safe, I'm depending on the solid design of the WSM go get me thru the night.

One day I'll be brave and try it again, but maybe while the neighbors are at work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (I ended up annoying the neighbors with the alarm last time, and they unplugged it) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't have neighbors (fortunately, I guess) but is the alarm that loud?

I wouldn't say that it is that loud. It is just that persistant and obnoxious -- kind of worms its way into your head.

It somehow annoyed them at 12:30 on new year's eve! Didn't think anyone would be trying to sleep at that point.

The other day it was going off and it sounded sort of pitiful---maybe it's wearing itself out (that would be fine with me!).

Maverick woke me at 5:30, beeping for awhile then stopping. So I figured, oh, good, whatever problem it was corrected itself. Then I thought I better get up and check. WOW, the wind is bitterly cold and really whipping up some strong gusts----so strong that it blew my maverick off the table and disconnected both probe wires from the transmitter. Plugged 'em back in and everything was good. Meat at 176, smoker at 237, and we're all happy. Came back upstairs, thing started beeping and was reading HHH across the bottom. What is THAT??? Stuck my head out the window to see if maybe the whole smoker had blown over or something---or if the wind had grabbed the silver bullet jacket and the whole thing had taken off like a kite---looked ok, so I stuck the receiver out the window and it picked up the signal just fine. Dunno what that was all about. I'll try to get back to sleep and hope it doesn't start crying thru the night again.

Susan, it is cold here too and I am going thru BBQ withdrawls right now. Next weekend something is going inside the Bullet no matter how cold, or how strong the winds are. My hat is off to you for braving the weather.
Going to make Chris' Southern Jalapeno Relish recipe so maybe that will warm me up.
DP

I don't know if I could do it without my silver bullet jacket (well, I guess I'd fashion a wind break, but it's soooo gusty out there today, I know mine would have fallen apart). Sometimes you just HAVE to Q....!

My fuel's depleted so I've thrown in a bunch of fresh (unlit) coals that are slowly coming up to temp. Started Raichlen's KC baked beans, too. I may end up pulling the butts and doing a quick oven finish. I know they are close to being done, but I'm not sure what temp they reached at their highest point. I know they made it thru their plateau, so I think I'll be in good shape even if I cheat in the oven.

Yeah, you'll be in good shape even if. And nice that butts are so forgiving.
Cold all over. It was in the mid-70s when I left L.A. Friday afternoon. In eastern Oklahoma now (Hi, Keri!), sunny, the temp has just climbed to a whopping 23 from the 16 it was when I got up. Supposed to be 31 for the low tonight at home--very cold for us.

After I refueled, I let the temps soar as high as they wanted to go (in the 260s). Meat temps came up to 194 or so, and they were wanting to fall into nice chunks by time I took 'em off. Foiled 'em, stuck into the cooler, and rushed over to my friend's house, where the first butt pulled like a dream. An excellent reception from a hungry family. Took the other butt to mom's, where the second butt was also just gorgeous, but my sister brought pizza for the games, so we ended up just sampling the butt and beans (delish). We're going to actually try the old foodsaver/freezer trick on part of it to see if you kids are telling the truth when you say frozen butt reheats nicely.

Nice Job!!! cooking the pork butt and the roll are pretty much the same they say.. im sure they taste diff though....in any case...you can always test the good nighbor feature before you go to sleep.. thats what i did last night.. i took me 3 times to get it right..i actually had to do a find and saw bills post who told me how to do it right. but then it worked....

glad your butts worked out well....

Back