Smoking with Olive wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Montague

TVWBB Member
I'm running a little experiment right now, and I'll report the result when done, but would like any preliminary comments from anyone on this--especially if you've tried it:

I just put two 8lb shoulders on, and I'm using Kingsford and a couple of big chunks of an olive tree that I just cut down two weeks ago. The smoke smells okay so far, but I wonder if it will end being a good option. Please offer your thoughts on this.

Thanks

A friend of mine just told me a couple days ago that his uncle uses olive wood to smoke salmon. If you like salmon, try it on that and let us know how it turns out.

I have an olive farm not far from me ... if you like it, I may be tempted to pay the rancher a visit during pruning season.

I was wondering about the seasoning issue a little bit, but decided that the piece I had was semi-dry since it was a branch that was suffering a bit on the tree, and I went for it. The smoke smells a little unique--a good smell--but I just can't anticipate what it will taste like ultimately. I rubbed with just plain Old Bay seasoning this time, since it seemed like it would be compatible with an olive smoke.

I just went out and checked the shoulders, and they are in the low 180's, so it won't be long till I have a final verdict. I will report back!

Looking forward to it!!
icon_smile.gif

Okay, the results are in....it was very good. We just finished it off while watching the ASU vs. USC game, and the pork shoulder is the only good thing about the event so far. The referees have had a horrible game, complicating a poor showing by ASU.

I think the olive wood could go very well with something like fish too. It was a fairly light smoke, with just a hint of what I'll describe as olive flavor. Add this to your list of usable woods. I used an older branch, not a green sapling-branch.

Glad it turned out Tyler. I don't think I can get olive wood up here.
icon_frown.gif

Oh well, got enough apple wood to last for months!
icon_smile.gif

Yeah, Phil, go for it--especially if you are departing from the sugary-type of barbeque. Some of the guys were melting mozarella cheese on top of the pork and putting that on a sandwich. Very good. Greg, I don't think too many olive trees are in your neighborhood up there. If you run into some, give it a try.
Tyler

Olive wood = mediterranean.

Try it on saltwater fish, lamb and chicken.

Interesting with pork butt. it was probably great with the old bay rub. Not sure I'd use it with a brown sugar based rub.

Would you Tyler?

No, Jay, I don't think I would go the sugar direction with olive wood. Just doesn't seem like it would go together. My friends and fellow barbeque cohorts all liked the pork quite a bit; one who is a serious chef (he works in the fine-dining group at the 4-Star Wigwam resort here in Scottsdale, AZ.) thought he could really taste the olive, "like I had poured a little olive oil on the pork or something." He may dream up some kind of mediterranean sauce to go with it next time we attempt this. I will definitely use it with salmon sometime in the future.

On day two, this Old Bay-and-Olive pork was outstanding with some fresh flour tortillas, cheese, and homemade tomatillo sauce. The wife thought that might be the truly ideal way to serve this creation. Whatever. Experimenting is part of the fun. I'm going to give a fig log I've been saving the next experiment on a chuck roll.

Hey, I have to agree with the use of olive to smoke with. The ASU game went bad, but the food sure was great. Tyler, unlike me, is willing to possibly blow an 8lb butt in the name of experimentation. Lucky for me when the result is good, I live right down the street from him. I also have more pecan than I can use so I tend to stick with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tyler Montague:
I'm running a little experiment right now, and I'll report the result when done, but would like any preliminary comments from anyone on this--especially if you've tried it:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Okay, the results are in....it was very good.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice to hear that it went well!

I found a piece of olive tree when on vacation on Crete, Greece, in May. I haven't had time to try it yet (it's scheduled for my next smoke), but I made a small page of tribute to the log on my site (under smoke wood).

I'm looking forward to trying it!
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back