Smoking skinless Salmon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieson S

TVWBB Fan
I wanted to try smoking some salmon, and CostCo seems to have the best deal on the fish. However, their salmon comes in whole filets but it has no skin. I am going to ask and see if it is possible to get some with skin, but if not do you think simply placing it on foil with a bit of oil will still yield good results?
Jamie

I did not like smoking the Costco salmon at all. I normally get a Norwegian salmon from a very reputable fish monger and it comes out beautifully. The Costco is probably more suitable for cooking in a pan. Get a high quality salmon with the skin on it will be worth the extra cost by far.

I've used foil and oil or PAM several times for those Costco Atlantic Salmon fillets. They turn out just fine for family cooking.

We cook lots of Costco salmon for tailgaters. We like to put it on foil in our offset with some butter under it. Olive oil would work also, sprinkle with garlic salt, dress with some baby dill and lemon slices, if you have alder use it otherwise apple or cherry is nice, mesquite in a pinch. When done having it on foil is wonderful and ez peasy, just have gloves on an lift onto a platter and eat. People at our tailgaters think we are serving them copper river it turns out so good. On the other hand most of them have had lots to drink by then. Enough adult beverages everthing looks good and tastes good.

I've cooked costco salmon many times on my WSM, and i've used neither oil, nor foil, nor letuce leaves and it was great. Not much sticking at all. Just brined the filet for a couple hours, let it dry and form a pelicle, and smoke. Yummyness.

jason

I smoke skinless terriaki salmon nuggets and cut the skin off before brining/marinating in a molasses brownsugar/soy brine with some pickling salt and garlic and oyster sauce. I brine it for a day and smoke it until I have an internal temp above 150 and a nice pellicle has formed. I am also using a lower quality farm raised atlantic salmon but it seems to turn out great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back