Smoking Lean

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
So, After my yearly doctor's visit, I figured out that I have high cholesterol. any suggestions for smoking a little bit more on the lean side? I realize that most of the meats I really like are very fatty, including the Fattie. As much as I hate to do this, I need to...Any help would be appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
So, After my yearly doctor's visit, I figured out that I have high cholesterol. any suggestions for smoking a little bit more on the lean side? I realize that most of the meats I really like are very fatty, including the Fattie. As much as I hate to do this, I need to...Any help would be appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take tablets and eat sensibly but eat what you enjoy.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michele p:
A brined whole turkey or turkey breast come out great in the WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I second the turkey breast suggestion. I make sure I have at least two smoked, vacuum-sealed turkey breasts in my freezer at all times. As soon as I get down to one, I fire up my WSM and smoke 3-6 more.

Try three ribs on the well done side instead of half a rack. one PP sammie instead of three. Short story, I've found that not eating what I want is a lot harder than eating less of what i want.

Cheers, and don't forget your lipitor!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
So, After my yearly doctor's visit, I figured out that I have high cholesterol. any suggestions for smoking a little bit more on the lean side? I realize that most of the meats I really like are very fatty, including the Fattie. As much as I hate to do this, I need to...Any help would be appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yesterday I recieved thae same dreaded news from my doctor. With my cholesterol twice as high as it should be, I will also miss the fatties.

There's a reason why they call them fatties. But seriously, in America we all seem to eat more animal protein than we need (or is healthly for us). Cut out the really fatty stuff, but also, just eat less of what you love. The key is to make interesting veggies for dinner -- I recommend the occasional vegetarian dinner too. The transition will take awhile, but you'll do fine. Don't worry, there's still plenty of great BBQ in your future.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

De-fatted Bostun Butt is pretty lean. I remove 99% of the fat when doing pulled pork. Takes about 10-12 minutes per 8-10 lb butt and the meat can dry a little if you don't keep it covered while tearing the butt apart.

I know a lot of people just tear into a butt and don't remove any fat, but not me. I'm picky about that.

Like my Wife always tells me, every thing in moderation. You can have your Pork Butt, Ribs and the other fatty meats as long as you have the Turkey, fish and vegetables too.

Plan your weekday meals around eating healthy and leave the weekends for Beer and BBQ.

Steve

Unfortunately we're all different and cutting back on fatty food may not be the complete solution for you. In my case I had high triglycerides as well and the resolution included curbing the carbs and exercising too.

I couldn't tolerate the medications, and finally after many blood tests and advice from a nutritionist I got to a point where things were good.

A lot of words to say - it may not be just fatty food to watch out for.

Oh wait, I forgot some suggestions..

Pork tenderloin, pork loin chops, chicken, turkey, prepared with the many tips on this site can keep you going. Smoked salmon too. Many ways to treat all these cuts.

Go to sirloin steak to cut some fat. Tri-tip and chuck eye as well. This site has lots of resources for these.

Back