Smoking in cold wether

Jason P

I have a WSM 18.5 and I just did my first butt over the weekend (it came out great thanks to you guys!!)
I live in western MA and was wondering what do you guys do when smoking in colder weather to keep your temp up ?

Thx Jp

I don't notice a lot of difference even in the rain/snow. A lot of people build wind shelters & some use water heater jackets.......and a lot just skip the cook altogether. Give it a shot & plan on starting with just a little more fuel, and maybe using a little more throughout, but I bet you don't see all that much difference.

I agree with Clint. I'm in NE Scotland, & the weather here can be a tad chilly. I don't notice much difference in cook times. Just fully load the charcoal ring & go! Any unspent fuel you can re-use.

I don't think you will see a ton of difference. If you are water in water pan guy I would use less or put in hot water to start. If running minion method you may wanna toss a few more coals to get temp up quicker but overall WSM performs well in the cold too.

I've grilled and smoked in extremely cold temps many times and snow cooks too...
I haven't noticed any problems except for wind.... stay out of the wind, keep your Weber dry and you'll be fine.
oh, in the extreme cold temps, leave the beer indoors.

4Kj2OEg2VzTC3erZkdM_tYN0CpNTGKWKygckD6sokh7uPfrVNqfnuij9MPwVa3FOtujYPCnia6cwXM1BVDs_HtkYsEr0iLAuZGg5f6oD9Ts0_HS9_AHJ670F3d1hkqAcfnO2qyQ9Nzul-6KKsnHgNqJ3mz__--Jv54CRpRE17I3x6wyPjShsevczJV7eopp2VJEyaonYqsG-mZWTlbitR_hYbml8VKZv3NARlCj-Wyu7G7QpKHgvgK7LD9qhK1OJuJSal04TUu9cWmGu2HO5k2rTQpHX0NmL8HxjsQtK0PFOYkvS9Lrvc9jYkwOzsYz6RJE-3z2MjrcHX8ivKRxjYu0Ask9BF_s0d_Qt5IwEbtLjYKGAwSDslmurq9NHw6L6nyMtXd3fhIRlm1s7Vlhkt6rouMF-ixBKGt--Rlp8JU9LQpuXXwr5yTl2N-EdFmROMyZ8k3RTiwXpjwyKTI-Hp8BGk8-ovJN0cRhTr51BSHKfjIxA_AImPPWdm8s76Ttb5JGeFG34m-g6OdiQORhXj_qBsVG9hatMj7d9Q86MaYg1=w800-h600-no

I use kao-wool blanket insulation. Its from the heating industry and I get long steady cooks on very small amounts of charcoal all year long. I'm in the same state as you, but on the coast with the winds.

Last edited:
Full charcoal ring of unlit coals with hole in middle and dump 15 lit coals in hole for minion method; no problems here in Alaska. Jim, the winter picture reminds me of home. Oh ya I forgot, I am home and it snowed today.

It's all about the wind. Not the temperature.

+1 I'm also in MA, and have smoked down in the teens. I found that it is just a matter of different adjustments on the vents. But winds are the enemy. I constructed a crude 3 side shelter out of 3 pieces of 1/2" plywood 2'x 4' and some large hinges.

The biggest difference and problem is the beer freezing. ;)

I agree it's more about the wind than the temperature. I use my smoker more in the winter than I do in the summer. Guess I have more time on weekends in the winter, as I'm not busy doing things that require warmer temps. Anyway, using the minion method I just set and forget it. I have the WSM on a wheeled plant stand so I can move it around easily to get it out of the wind.

Yes we here in the North East have to deal with the cold more then those southern boys, but then again the Canadian's look at us like we're the bahama's :)

My first WSM was the coldest day of last winter
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?57630-First-Run-on-new-WSM-in-Perfect-Weather!

The tips above are all good. Main issues are wind more then cold. Getting cooker to temp takes a good bit longer in the cold so start with a bit more lit and be ready to catch temps on the way up. You will burn a little more fuel to keep temps in range but once you get their you are fine.

One bonus: Post Cook shut down is way quicker in the cold :)

Back