Smoking Chicken: How do I get the Red out???

Dan Sfamurri

One problem that always comes up when I smoke chicken and turkey is that some of the cooked meat has bright red streaks or red pockets (mainly the breast area)in it. I also get this around the bones now and then.

The meat is clearly cooked except for those areas.

Do you think it's because I don't let the chicken sit a room temperature long enough before I put it on the WSM?

Anyone have any suggestions??

It's not serious but it is a "turnoff" to people who think the chicken is not cooked enough.

Thanks,
dan

Originally posted by Dan Sfamurri:
One problem that always comes up when I smoke chicken and turkey is that some of the cooked meat has bright red streaks or red pockets (mainly the breast area)in it. I also get this around the bones now and then.

The meat is clearly cooked except for those areas.

Do you think it's because I don't let the chicken sit a room temperature long enough before I put it on the WSM?

Anyone have any suggestions??

It's not serious but it is a "turnoff" to people who think the chicken is not cooked enough.

Thanks,
dan

Dan, Welcome to the group. What temp are you cooking at and what meat temp do you finish at. I smoke a lot of chicken and have not had a "RED" problem. If the red is at the bone try dabbing with a white napkin, if the juice on the napkin is pink or red then that indicates the meat is under cooked.

Mark

I check the temps in both thighs before I pull the chicken off. I have never encountered the red streaks before. Lately I have been spatchcocking the chickens. I seem to like the way they come out instead of the whole chickens. They cook a little quicker as well.

if the juice on the napkin is pink or red then that indicates the meat is under cooked.
No, it doesn't.

Chicken can be cooked to safe internal temps - meaning it is not undercooked - but still have red at or near the bones and in the 'blood line' in the breast. Not uncommon.

Cracking the leg-thigh joint before cooking can help alleviate red near that joint. Simply twist the leg a bit till the cartilage snaps.

For the breast issue you either need to cook longer, even if you have hit targeted safe temps, or, prior to service, slice then briefly cook the slices with any apparent red in a little collected juices or stock.

You are quite correct: People are weird with chicken. The slightest color makes them squeamish - even though the chicken is coked to safe internals and is thus safe to consume.

Kevin, cooking chicken to a Safe temp and cooking chicken that is acceptable to the general public is another matter. I agree with you and my reference regarding the napkin test is a commonly held practice at KCBS contests. Chicken that leaves a red tint on the napkin can be marked down as "undercooked".

Mark

Originally posted by Dan Sfamurri:
the cooked meat has bright red streaks or red pockets (mainly the breast area)in it.
dan
Dan,
I've never seen bright red streaks as you describe. I'd be interested in seeing a photo if you have one. Maybe next time if you see them again. I know it is impossible to convince people to eat chicken that shows any red. Frankly, If I didn't know the cook, I'd be a bit squeamish myself.

I agree people are weird about something they are not familiar with. I had a guy ask me how the outside of my porkloin could be rare and the inside be cooked

Thighs-loin012-1.jpg

I told him it was magic
icon_smile.gif

Guys,

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I don't think that if I were to rub the red mark or red pocket with a napkin, it would come off.

The next time I cook chicken, I'll have to provide a picture.

I don't think it is a doneness issue but I am somewhat new at this.

Thanks again,

dan

Just curious about what temp you cook at, at what temp do you stop cooking, and where on the birds you temp

Dave,

I cooked the chickens in the 220-230 degree range. Although I don't always move the birds, this time I did turn them. I took them off the grill when the temp of the white meat was about 170 degrees. It was also relatively easy to break the joint between the thigh and body of the chicken. The birds rested about one half hour to to 45 minutes.

What I am guilty of is not writing alot of this stuff down and taking notes so I don't make the same mistake twice.

VISINE will get the red out, but then again, you don't want much smoke on chickens. I guess you could stay upwind of the cooker if it's an issue, though.

My family had a couple fried chicken restaurants for years and "redness" was a huge deal.

Much like any animal there are some large veins/arteries that can hold blood. Typically this is found in the thighs but I have seen redness near the breast bone as well.

One of the things we did was to pierce the thighs along the femur (to get to the artery and soak the birds in a salt brine for several hours. This added moisture but also helped draw the redness out as well.

I know not everyone likes brining but it can help draw some of that red from the meat if your crowd is picky.

Scooter,

That is exactly what my mother-in-law used to do and just like you, she said it would draw out the blood. She didn't call it brining and she didn't use a ton of salt and only soaked it for about an hour, but she believed it worked.

I didn't do that but maybe that is the answer.

dan

My "smoking" of chicken is a bit unconventional. I have a Bubba Keg steel kamado, which can make some unbelievably moist meats - smoke, sear, or otherwise. But the BEST chicken I make (hands down consensus by the family) is on a 22 inch Weber kettle.

I bank a bunch of briquettes coals on one side of the kettle, held in place by a couple of bricks. I then dump a half chimney of hot coals on top of those. By then the coals are up to grate level, providing a nice area for searing.

I then sear the pieces - usually leg quarters, BI breasts, or halves - for 3 minutes per side, getting a nice, crisp skin. I then slide them over to the "cool" side of the grill.

After searing all pieces and moving them over, I then throw a couple pieces of apple wood chunks (or a foil packet full of chips) on the hot coals and walk away. 20-30 minutes of consistent smoke, then 250 degrees for roughly 2 1/2-4 hours (depending on the size). Chicken always comes out tender, nice skin, great smoked applewood flavor, and VERY juicy. This is the one cooking method that guarantees no leftovers!
icon_redface.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
VISINE will get the red out, but then again, you don't want much smoke on chickens. I guess you could stay upwind of the cooker if it's an issue, though.

Was a wise guy. Must've been watching "Ron Burgundy" and decided to play the newsroom idiot character.
icon_biggrin.gif

...but on a more serious note, in addition to the helpful comments above, sometimes a broken bone will leach out marrow (or something like that) and discolor the meat around it.

Back