smoking cheese

I have a question. I think i know the answer but here goes.

Looking at the smoking cheese guide on here it says:

"Whatever you decide, make sure to choose high-quality cheese."

Why is this?

I tried to smoke cheese for the first time and it was very easy. I used 2 lit pieces of charcoal and 2 pieces of unlit. I then put 1 chunk of apple wood on it. I only left the cheese on there for 30 mins. The cheese was way too smokey. I picked cheep cheese because i just wanted to try it first.

In reply to your cheap cheese question (I've read other sites that used "cheap" cheese and it was great-->I guess it depends on your def'n of cheap) I guess what you ended up with was cheap smokey cheese. If you're going to go to the trouble of smoking it, it might as well be good quality. Same as using wine in a stew--if you wouldn't drink it at the table with the meal, why would you put in your food?

In regards to "way too smokey", other sites I've read suggest 2-4 hours (not 30 min) of smoke and then wrap and let it sit for 2 days and up to approx 2 weeks to allow it to thoroughly penetrate.

What may have happened is you may have just tasted the outside coating which would naturally be quite strong and didn't have a chance to dissipate.?

It coloured your perception of what the total product tasted like.

I came across a youtube vid on a real easy way to smoke cheese that allows you to control the temp--using a grill and a new soldering iron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...re=player_embedded#!

I think Mr Dennis is spot on. Exept one thing:

"Same as using wine in a stew--if you wouldn't drink it at the table with the meal, why would you put in your food?"

I do that all the time. And if if the **** hits the fan i even drink it
icon_wink.gif

But then again i never smoked any cheese.

Ok, I was genuinely bored last week so I cold smoked a block of mild cheddar and pepper jack for about 4 hours. This was the second time that I tried smoking cheese.

The first time was a dismal failure for two reasons (I think). First, I used el-cheapo cheese and second I tried to eat it right out of the smoker. Big mistake.

This time I used a much better grade of cheese and put the cheese in a sandwich baggie in the fridge afterwards for 2-3 days. Much better results. I also found that not eating the end slices is a good idea, too intense.

So yes, I think that using decent quality cheese is a very good idea.

Russ

Wrap up your cheese real tight in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and let it set in the fridge for at least a week and then try it out. The smoke flavor will really mellow out and won't be so bitter. I don't like freshly smoked cheese.

Part of it, like Daniel said with the wine metaphor, is that you need to use cheese that you would eat. The other part of it is that it seems like the more expensive cheeses tend to be harder cheeses, which are less susceptible to melting in your smoker. Think of Velveeta vs. an aged cheddar.

I think the reason you didn't like your cheese was simply time. I usually let mine sit for a week before eating it to let it mellow out, otherwise it's like licking out your ash catcher. You probably didn't really smoke it that hard at all. If there's any left, try it next week.

Also: if you are worried about mold as it rests, I know a great trip. Wrap the cheese tightly in plastic wrap and then bag it.

I vacuum pack mine, and as others have said, let it sit in the fridge for at least a week. The flavor really mellows out.

JimT

This sounds good guys. I think they needed to add to the smoking cheese guide is to wrap it up and not eat it for a week. I do think i still have some left in the fridge so i'll try it tonight.

I will try this again as it doesn't take much work to smoke it.

Thanks again.

Yep, can't eat that cheese too soon. I and the wife found that out the hard way the first time I cold smoked cheese. Right off the smoker is a BAD idea. A week or more later........So good.

I tried this for the first time early December. I had to relight once (tiny fires are trickier than big fires). I used a little apple wood with a chunk of Wisconsin low fat white cheese. The temp was 40 degrees outside, and I just filled the bowl with cold tap water. I had no trouble keeping temps in the 50-75 degree range.

But I was underwhelmed with the results. I even let it mellow a few weeks. Maybe with a better type of cheese (gouda?) or a different wood it'd be better. I don't know.

Back