Smoking 4 butts ... need reassurance!

Dennis T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm planning on smoking 4 butts overnight (Thursday), pull on Friday, refrigerate, and serve at a party for 35 or so Saturday afternoon.

I'm guessing the 4 butts are two at 7 pounds and two at 6 pounds.

If I operate at 250 (lid), am I looking at 10-14 hours (1.5-2 hrs/lb ... based on largest butt) once the WSM is at temp? I'm trying to figure out what time to start Thursday evening.

Also, any thoughts on whether to put the larger butts on the top or bottom grate?

Thanks in advance. I haven't used the WSM in several years, so I'm a bit anxious.

Dennis,

I am guessing you have the 18" since you haven't used it in years.

I smoke around 260 on butts and usually go about 1.5 hrs per lb, but of course it varies as you well know.

Do you use water? If so, put the larger butts on the top. If you do not use water, put the larger butts on bottom.

Make sure to check the smaller ones early and pull them off the cooker as they are done.

Since you are probably using an 18", with it full like that it will take longer to get to temp after adding the cold meat than just having 1 or 2 butts on there. Once you get to temp the cooktime will be the same though.

Good luck!

We did four butts, around 7.5 lbs last weekend using the 18.5. They fit with no problems. Top grate temp was around 240 and they were finished at the 20 hour mark. I typically cook at a higher temp, but I needed to have them finish later rather than earlier.

Josh ... Yes, I have the 18. And I should have mentioned that I plan on using water, if only because that's how I operated in the past.

Ken ... 20 hours ... that's longer than I would have guessed. I'd like to take them off around late morning/noon ... but they'll be done when they're done!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
I smoke around 260 on butts and usually go about 1.5 hrs per lb, but of course it varies as you well know.

Do you use water? If so, put the larger butts on the top. If you do not use water, put the larger butts on bottom.

Make sure to check the smaller ones early and pull them off the cooker as they are done.

Since you are probably using an 18", with it full like that it will take longer to get to temp after adding the cold meat than just having 1 or 2 butts on there. Once you get to temp the cooktime will be the same though.

Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good suggestions, Josh.

I cooked two large butts (18.5 lbs. total) OVER a small 11.5 lb. brisket the other night and surprisingly, everything was done about the same time, in about 16 hours...probably an average temp. of 230* measured by a probe hanging in the dome vent. I would've thought that the brisket would've been done sooner, but it was stubborn, and yes, I use water in the pan, and since it was rather small I put it on the bottom rack.

Even though the butts aren't large, that's a lot of meat to get the cooker up to temp. with, as Josh points out. It's always a ramp up in temp with me, and if your cooker is like mine (and you use water) the only things I can suggest is to let the cooker get all the way up to temp before loading, start off with boiling water in the pan if you can, and let the butts sit out for at least an hour before smoking. Nobody raves about the smoke ring in pork shoulder, anyway.

Good luck with it, and use plenty of good smokewood!

How much smoke wood would you recommend?

My thought is to go with 4-5 fists of apple and one fist of hickory.

I've only done butts once, but it taught me that they're forgiving. Other than being rusty (me not the WSM), the big change will be cooking this much meat at once.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis T.:
How much smoke wood would you recommend?

My thought is to go with 4-5 fists of apple and one fist of hickory.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats exactly what I do and I think its the perfect combo for butts.

Thanks, Will. That's what I was after ... reassurance!

Dave ... P.S. ... in preparing for this smoke, I searched the forums quite a bit and your posts stuck out in my mind because the way you operate (water in pan + around 250) matched the way I operated the WSM a few years ago. Given this much meat, I was tempted by the high temperature approach, but, not having any experience with it, I'm leary to give it a shot on this cook.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Dennis, I've been using about that same amount of wood, but it's not just the amount or kind of wood that matters, but moisture content, too...so yeah, that sounds right, as long as the apple wood isn't too old. Personally, I'd go with at least 50% hickory if the apple is really dry, but that's just me, and I like a heavier smoke flavor on pork shoulder than anything else I cook.

As to the HH cook with four butts, NO, you might've already seen that I'm completely against that aproach. Long story short, it's less time, but more trouble than it's worth.

The good thing with a four butt overnight cook is that you can keep them hot after cooking ALL DAY LONG if needed til supper time, so relax, and don't think you have to start really late the night before. I believe you said you use water, so relax and settle for 215-225* if thats all you get at the beginning of the cook, and after all the meat heats up, I think that if it eventually settles in at about 250*, that's about perfect....Nothing new here, aren't Chris A. and most others that use water in the pan content with 225-250 dome temp? I allow 2 hr. a lb. just to be on the safe side, but the longest I've gone was eighteen hours and that was with like FIVE butts, or over forty pounds of pork.

One more reminder since you said it had been a while... as opposed to a fast HH cook, 99% of my low-n-slow pork shoulder is done by 190*, not 200*, and it'll further tenderize while holding til pulling time. Have some finishing sauce ready just in case you cook it too long, because like everything else, even though pork butts are forgiving, you can still overcook past optimum tenderness. I'm sure you know that, though...just a reminder, as it's easy to do when you have all the time you need in a cook.....just the opposite from getting up before the chickens and trying to get it tender before your guests turn into a rowdy mob.
icon_wink.gif

Dennis, good luck with it, and note that for some reason or another, I added (edited) another paragragh to the last post.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Dave ... We must be on the same wavelength. I'm planning on using a finishing sauce shared here by Kevin Kruger.

The party isn't until late Saturday afternoon, but with so many guests coming from out of town, I thought it best to smoke ahead of time and reheat on Party Day. I'll be busy enough whipping up appetizers ... 2 or 3 different kinds of shrimp and a basketful of ABTs.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Hi Dennis, I'm actually doing 7 butts in my 22.5 for this weekend. Like Dave I do low and slow; 215 - 230 and I use a full water pan. I'm going to start around 10 pm Thursday night and that gives me all day friday if needed as well. Shoulder is very forgiving and you should be fine even if the internal temp runs up to 200+. Remove and foil them at 190 and hold either in the oven or in coolers wrapped in towels (the butts, not the coolers! lol).

Good luck and let us know how it went! Remember to have fun and relax!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back