Smokey Joe Smokes Spare Ribs...

D. L. Whitehead

TVWBB Super Fan
Howdy hi all,

Smokey Joe smoked spare ribs today. I've been pondering this for a while. It's a size problem. I bought a small slab and an normal size slab--figuring I could use one or the other. Upon further examination, I decided that I could cook both if I cut off the small ends of each slab and save the ends for another day when I had some extra room. So, I smoked three-fourths, approximately, of both the small slab and the normal sized slab. Of course the small slab was slightly more done than the normal sized slab--but, well within quality parameters.

For previous smokes on Smokey Joe see:

Pork Butt
Chicken Drumsticks with some discussion of most modifications to Smokey Joe
Beef Ribs (Nubbins)
Brisket Flat
Beef Chuck

Too_Big_01.jpg

Trimmed_01.JPG

Elevated_Rack_01.JPG

I used an elevated rack for the smaller slab of ribs

Loaded_01.jpg

Close_To_Lid_01.jpg

Done_01.jpg

Done_02.jpg

Now, I'm beginning to understand how Joe got his name...

###

Now you're just showing off! Great looking ribs. You produce better food with the little SJ than many people could produce with a full sized smoker.
icon_wink.gif

You've done all the KCBS meats now. Have you thought about competing with a quartet of SJ's? You would blow some people's minds.

Just for kicks, may want to consider a KCBS Competitor series comp which is a first timer competition (some are just chicken and ribs).

Should be able to find used SJs for next to nothing and yes could create some interest from fellow competitors, in fact in a regular KCBS comp some fellow competitors (with high end stuff) may be embarrased if your entires placed higher than theirs.

Can have some interesting team names:
Pocket Smokers
Small Frye Cookers
etc.

John

You are an inspiration! You can do more with your SJ than I can ever hope for with my WSM!
APPLAUSE!!! Everything I have seen so far coming off of there is amazing!!

YOU ARE A MADMAN D.L.!

Okay, Okay.......you've shown how versatile the Smokey Joe is........so now let's make things interesting! Here's what I want to see next......WHOLE HOG! If anyone can do it on a Smokey Joe it's YOU! Git'er Done!

Super Nice ribs!!!!!

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
You've done all the KCBS meats now. Have you thought about competing with a quartet of SJ's? You would blow some people's minds.

Originally posted by J Reyes:
Just for kicks, may want to consider a KCBS Competitor series comp which is a first timer competition (some are just chicken and ribs).

Should be able to find used SJs for next to nothing and yes could create some interest from fellow competitors, in fact in a regular KCBS comp some fellow competitors (with high end stuff) may be embarrassed if your entries placed higher than theirs.

Can have some interesting team names:
Pocket Smokers
Small Frye Cookers
etc.

John

Originally posted by Shawn W:
DL you must be Jo-KING!!
icon_smile.gif

looks great, great job!

I can see it now--go to set up for the competition by unfolding an a regular old card table and placing four Smokey Joe kettles on it--one on each corner. Then, getting out a bag of Kingsford--only about 1/3rd full...

Hey, I'd consider doing a competition if I could get j biesinger to assemble the turn in boxes and Shawn W to help cook and to keep us entertained.
icon_smile.gif

Those are nice names, but I like Ordinary Joes.

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
YOU ARE A MADMAN D.L.!

Okay, Okay.......you've shown how versatile the Smokey Joe is........so now let's make things interesting! Here's what I want to see next......WHOLE HOG! If anyone can do it on a Smokey Joe it's YOU! Git'er Done!

Super Nice ribs!!!!!

Larry, I'd probably need at least a Smokey Joe Platinum for that.

Thanks all!

###

Also may be able to mod it a bit to add more space by using a mid section (like a WSM) and/or another SJ bottom for a top.

John

I have had a lot of fun reading about the cooks on your SJ. They have been very educational. While I am unlikely to replicate these, I am very appreciative of you sharing. Awesome!

Hey D.L....how long can you go on the SJ before having to add more coal?

The sausage making is cool. Those smoked ones in the pics I posted were homemade too. You should try smoking some sausage on your SJ.

Back