Smoked Ribeye Roast with pics

MMMMMMMMMMMM Ribeye
icon_biggrin.gif

Hahaha, DUDE! I literally just got home from a beer run and cruising the meat isle at the grocery store -- Tom Thumb, the north Texas subsidiary of Safeway. I saw some beautiful ribeye roasts for $4.99/lb and thought, I wonder if I could do anything other than cut some nice steaks from that? I passed because I won't have time to get to it right away, but now I'm kicking myself!

I have some seasonings in mind that I'd use for something like that, but do you mind sharing any tips on your cook temp and whether you smoked until a certain time, internal temp, fell, etc.? The done-ness on those slices looks just about perfect for my fam.

Need more details. Rub,wood,time etc. Looks cooked perfect for my taste.

I can't recall ever smoking a rib roast, however while you're waiting for Clay (btw, nice eats Clay
icon_cool.gif
) to give you an update, I can tell you how I'd do this.

Fire up the wsm*, probe the meat as close to center as possible, pull it 5-10 degrees shy of your target temp,let it rest, slice.

* the lower the temp the more uniform the degree of doneness, the higher the temp the better the crust but more uneven doneness (think: bullseye). If both crust and even doneness are required sear first then smoke roast sub 300*.

Hopefully Clay can give you specifics, but until then, just think like a piece of meat.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the comments. Here's the the write-up I did for my notes. My wife loves garlic and pepper on her steaks so we simply used the montreal steak seasoning. Next time I'm going to use Old No.2 dry rub.

Ingredients
- Ribeye Roast (bone in preferred)
- Worchestire Sauce
- Dry Rub / Seasoning
Cooking Methoed: Smoke
Total Time: Around 3 hours
Cook Time: Around 2 hours
Water Pan: Empty but Foiled
Wood Selection: Fruit wood
Cook Temp: 325 to 350
Steps:
1. The night before the cook, rub the roast with Worchestire sauce and rub/seasoning. Wrap meat in saran plastic wrap and keep overnight in the refrigerator.(15m)

2. 2 hours before cooking, set meat out at room temp.

3. Fire WSM using the standard method. Add a lit full chimney of charcoal, then add a full unlit chimney. Wait for coals to grey over. (Around 45m)

4. Add 2 to 3 chunks of wood selection, assemble and add meat. The WSM will initially heat up to above 350, but will shortly settle between 325 and 350. (around 2 hrs)

5. Remove meat and let rest loosely covered with foil. You want to remove the meat at 5 degrees below where you like it. For medium, remove at ~140. For medium rare, remove at ~130. (30m)

I removed the roast you see in my pics at 130. It took right at 2 hours in the smoker to reach this internal temperature. The WSM had no issues staying between 325 and 350 for the entire smoke. Outside temps were mid 40's. This was definitely the most tender steaks I've ever ate. It is a different experience than grilling up a steak. Be sure to post some pics after you try and let us know how it goes.

Clay - Nice job / Great pics - I'm just south of you in Union on the canal. Thanks for the cooking info. It's off to Costco for a roast for my upcoming weekend cook. Bob

Looks very tasty Clay.

I have done a few WSM roasts before, all at about 350 degrees using a foiled but otherwise empty water pan.

I think the trick is to let theroast stand at room temp for a long time before cooking so you get the most even doneness throughout.

For a roast I like it pretty darn rare, so my cook time at 300-350 is not too long...I go by internal temp and pull it off at 115-120. My wife doesn't like it so rare, so she takes the end pieces.

Aloha Clay... that is a beautiful job on the roast. Thanks for the details, gonna have to do one this weekend since we have some good weather forecasted for Western WA.
icon_smile.gif
Heading for Costco first hing this morning. Thanks for sharing...

joe

Thanks again for the comments. It was quite tasty.

Joe, it's about time we have some good weather up here. I was surprised by the weather as well, so I'm trying a high heat beef shoulder roast to make into chopped beef for tonight.

I'm loving the availability of good wood up here in the NW. My garage is full of apple just waiting some good meat.

Great job with that ribeye Clay, No doubt in my mind that it was deelish. I do lots of smoke roasting myself and do lots of different beef cuts this way. A big sirloin roast is my favorite one, but I'll have to do a rib roast after seeing yours! I like my beef a bit on the very rare side. One thing I'll do for guests is to cook theirs to order on a seperate grill. I don't think I've ever gotten a complaint.

hey Jim, agreed on the ingredients. After doing this roast, I was planning a New York Roast. I didn't even think about a Sirloin roast. I've seen some recent post about Sirloin, maybe I should revisit them.

I also had to finish my wife's cut to medium well. I simply removed the middle section from the WSM and placed the cooking grate directly over the coals. Finished it off just fine.

My wife is getting a little worried. I was gonna put cornbread on the grill the other day, but she drew the line. A little cast iron, you can cook anything on the grill or smoker.

Back