Smoked Corn?

Ben A Hillis

TVWBB Member
Has anyone every smoked corn before, or have any secret ways to do it on the grill? The corn has no husks on them by the way.

For me, smoking most vegetables is about moderation.

I like to impart a little smoke on the veggies and then get them in foil......or I use a minimal amout of smoke wood and once it's gone, let the CC finish the job.

I've done corn with no husk and "over" smoked it, and it tasted more like smoke wood than corn. By smoking for a limited time (maybe 1/2 hour or so) and foiling with butter (I also like Old Bay) you get the best of both worlds.

Good luck!

As a matter of fact, I just did some along with squash and a salmon fillet in my kettle last night. I used indirect heat and a small piece of hickory and after about an hour took it all out and everything was cooked just right. Corn had the usual texture of grilled corn with a very slight hickory smoked flavor which my family all likes. I imagine you will enjoy it too if you give it a try.

I have some corn soaking right now for a destiny with a 235* WSM that has two racks of St Louis cut spares and a head of cabbage on it. Soak it, wrap it in foil since you have no husks and let it cook 2 -3 hours. ...at least that's my plan! LOL

Last edited:
I let them get some smoke and depending on color I wrap in foil with a little butter and a little garlic salt. Then remove when they feel soft. Not sure if that's the right way to cook but I like it.

I have but I left the husks on..... Um soaked for 30-60 minutes, olive oil, salt & pepper then smoked for about an hour with the husks pulled back over. You can sub olive oil with bacon if thats your thing.

I carefully pull back the husks and remove as much silk as I can. I then soak my corn in water seasoned with Zatarain's crab boil and salt for a hour or 2. Then you fold the husks back over the corn and grill it
for about 30 min turning it to get the grill marks and grill flavor. Serve with butter. sea salt and butter on the side. The Zatarain's add a nice zip of spice.

Back