Smoked Cheese in warm weather

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
I like to make smoked cheese in the cooler months, always come out pretty good with no effort. I live in Florida, my WSM gage was reading 140 degrees just sitting outside by it self. Does anyone have advice for smoking cheese in the warmer weather with out a whole lot of custom work? I think I saw a post about putting ice in the water pan.

ya, put ice in the water pan, put a pan of ice water on the top rack too if need be and smoke on the bottom rack

I know what you mean!! You are instructed to keep the temp around 90 when the ambient is 95!!DUH! I usually do cheese when the fire is just about gone and all Im want is smoke. Put the cheese in the freezer before you try to smoke. If you've done it before you know it doesn't take very long to get the smoke in the cheese.
First time I ever tried I thought it was supposed to look like the stuff in the stores.WRONG. It cam out tasting like a Kingsfod briquette.

Hi,

You may also use an external source of smoke to reduce heat build-up.

An electric charcoal starter in a flower pot filled with chips and covered with foil works nicely. You can duct the smoke with a down spout elbow or any kind of duct. You can even seal seams with inexpensive aluminized tape.

This set up results in almost negligible heat.

Alternatively, you can place the flower pot, electric starter and all in the bottom of the bullet. In this case you will need that ice to hod the temperature at bay.

Tim

Cold Smoke Generator,
Hmm, that opens up a big door (salmon, cheese, ect:".
Thank for the link Matt. I try to stay as rustic as I can, but: This defiantly sounds real good to me. Are you using one of these??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmfast:
Cold Smoke Generator,
Hmm, that opens up a big door (salmon, cheese, ect:".
Thank for the link Matt. I try to stay as rustic as I can, but: This defiantly sounds real good to me. Are you using one of these?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have one, but when I came across it it struck me that it would be very different to have heat and smoke fully independent of each other.
I'm also intrigued by pure smoldering as the smoke source - whether that kind of smoke would be the same as that coming from wood chunks on top of charcoal.

Back