Smoked Carrots ???

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Maybe a crazy question ?

My family likes to eat carrots (as a side dish of course), in any way shape or form.

Has anyone made carrots in the WSM cooker, maybe glazed or something ?

Can you get any smoked taste to them ?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

I've never made carrots to eat but when I first got my WSM I tried to use a carrot piece as a thermometer holder in the top vent. It cooked, then fell through.

So you've got that going for you.

Hi there John,
I often BBQ roast carrots as part of a roast dish in the weber Performer and they come out really nice but i find it best to slide them in half lenthways so they'll cook properly inside as sometimes i find that the thicker carrots will still be a little hard in the middle unless sliced.
Just brush on some oil and let them go, put them on the same time as potatoes as they'll take a while to soften and brown up.
I'm not a fan of smokey vegetables especially if the meat has enough smoke but each to their own.
Try turnips as well as they are in the carrot family and are quite delicious when roasted.

Cheers

Davo

Davo

So what your kinda saying is. You probably wouldn't mess with the carrots unless your cooking something else on your grill.

I kinda was thinking about, lighting maybe a dozen or so charcoal briquettes in the chimney, put in the WSM throw a little apple wood on for a little smoke flavor. and let them cook until softened.

I like your idea of sliceing lengthwise to speed up the cooking. Depending on the diameter of the carrots maybe slice lenthwise a second time. As we do in house to cook on the stove top.

Thanks

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I always steam my vegetables right before we eat on the grill, carrots included. Wrapped in foil with a few ice cubes, a little seasoning, YUM!

Very interesting thought. We enjoy roasted root vegetables - beets, turnips, rutabaga, carrots, garlic cloves, whatever's on hand. Toss 'em in olive oil, a little salt, pepper, and a healthy pinch of dried herb. Roast in the oven.

I'm gonna try "smoke roasting" them in the WSM and taste what happens.

Be wary of smoking veggies!! I think you really have to be cautious with this. ROASTING veggies is great because the natural sugars carmelize at the higher temps.

At smoking temps you won't get that carmelization, but you will get "sweating" that can provide lots of moisture to the outside to they absorb WAAAAAAAAY too much smoke. Especially if you think of the surface area of a carrot compared to it's total size, I would think the would just taste too much like sucking ashes.

Back