Smoked Brisket Pastrami Recipe

Sam-TX

TVWBB Fan
Brisket periodically goes on sale here for $2.50/lb. for choice and $3.50/lb. for prime (at Costco), so that's when I buy my brisket.

Being only human, I can't eat a whole brisket in one sitting, so I like to split them and freeze the other half (in a vacuum seal bag).

I just removed the flat from a choice brisket I had frozen, and I want to turn it into pastrami. Last time I followed this recipe, but the results came out so dry it crumbled when I cut it and it ended up in the trash.

That could be entirely my fault, or it could be the recipe. I've got my smoking technique now down a bit better, and I have a good meat thermometer.
Anyone have any recipes/tips/tricks for a good pastrami? I have the nitrite salt I need.. Actually I have more than I need. I got this one.

Some suggestions were given to me in this thread.

Here's a synopsis I made of the youtube recipe I linked:

youtube recipe said:
How to Make Pastrami | Cure & Smoke

Ingredients (quantities for split brisket piece):

Trimmed Brisket (point, flat, or whole)

Pickling Spice mix:
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp red chili flakes
1 tbsp allspice berries
1 tbsp cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground mace
2 x bay leaves (torn up)
1 stick cinnamon broken up

Brisket Rub:
1. 1/2 cup 50/50 toasted black pepper + coriander (crushed)
2. Mustard to get rub to stick
3. no salt.

Brine:
(see below)

Brine Brisket:
1. Toast pepper, mustard, and coriander seeds in skillet, then crush lightly
2. add remaining pickling spice ingredients
3. Boil 1 gallon water, add:
- 1.5 cups kosher salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 tsp pickling salt
- 10 cloves crushed garlicl
- 1/4 cup pickling spice
4. Cool with 10 lbs ice or 1 gallon cold water

Cure for 6 days

Smoke Brisket:
1. Wash with cold water
2. Add Rub (mustard, toasted pepper, toasted coriander, crushed)
3. Smoke/Cook (~8.5-9h)
- 250°F 5 hours uncovered ~150°F internal but not important (color matters)
- Wrap
- 300° F for 3-4 hours, 205-210°F internal, check resistance of probe for tenderness and check flexibility. Cured meat = a bit tighter than regular.
- Leave 30-60 minutes before slicing or put in fridge
4. Slice
- cut against direction of muscle strands
5. Store slices in brisket juices

Oh boy this isn't as simple as I thought.

Meathead's article on brining:
Meathead's Recipe for brining:
Meathead's Pastrami recipe:

That's a very nifty calculator on his website

Brisket periodically goes on sale here for $2.50/lb. for choice and $3.50/lb. for prime (at Costco), so that's when I buy my brisket.

Being only human, I can't eat a whole brisket in one sitting, so I like to split them and freeze the other half (in a vacuum seal bag).

I just removed the flat from a choice brisket I had frozen, and I want to turn it into pastrami. Last time I followed this recipe, but the results came out so dry it crumbled when I cut it and it ended up in the trash.

That could be entirely my fault, or it could be the recipe. I've got my smoking technique now down a bit better, and I have a good meat thermometer.
Anyone have any recipes/tips/tricks for a good pastrami? I have the nitrite salt I need.. Actually I have more than I need. I got this one.
Hey Sam. I have made a lot of pastrami in my time plus salt beef and from what I can see that video looks good. That and the meathead links above I think you will be all set.

My thinking is the dryness may be down to the smoking and cooking which I think you've said you've been working on and have a decent quality meat thermometer. Honestly I think that will do you. My take with pastrami is it needs more time at the steaming phase to not dry out. Because you are using the flat it is a little less forgiving than the point so keep an eye on it and the temps.

As a general set of tips I would say when brining be exact and precise with your curing salt but don't be afraid to experiment with herbs and spices and to add more in. That video didn't have desalination which I think is an important step. I usually give my pastramis a good few hours in cold fresh water after coming out of the brine to draw out the excess salt. You can slice a bit off and fry up to test.

Also definitely recommend using the point for salt beef. Is so good.

Let me know how it goes!

Hey Sam. I have made a lot of pastrami in my time plus salt beef and from what I can see that video looks good. That and the meathead links above I think you will be all set.

My thinking is the dryness may be down to the smoking and cooking which I think you've said you've been working on and have a decent quality meat thermometer. Honestly I think that will do you. My take with pastrami is it needs more time at the steaming phase to not dry out. Because you are using the flat it is a little less forgiving than the point so keep an eye on it and the temps.

As a general set of tips I would say when brining be exact and precise with your curing salt but don't be afraid to experiment with herbs and spices and to add more in. That video didn't have desalination which I think is an important step. I usually give my pastramis a good few hours in cold fresh water after coming out of the brine to draw out the excess salt. You can slice a bit off and fry up to test.
Hey Richard, thank you for the words of encouragement! I started bringing yesterday, (new years day), so the 5 day mark should be Jan. 6. Followed Meathead's calculator/guide. The if I can get a sick pastrami out of this, I'll be thrilled

Also definitely recommend using the point for salt beef. Is so good.
That's long gone lol
Let me know how it goes!
Will do!

OH GODDAMMIT

I was going to load the pastrami on the grill but now I'm seeing "Place the meat in cold water for 8 hours changing the water at least once".

I guess I'll do that tonight before I go to sleep, then do the pastrami tomorrow. I have enough food in the house right now anyway.

Back