Smoke woods

Tom W

TVWBB Member
I normally use hickory and over the many years have used the usual types of woods. apple, cherry, alder, and oak. Last night I used some peach mixed with oak and it turned out nice.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Has anyone used lilac or rosemary? I have some of each in my backyard and was wondering what to expect.

I have not used lilac, but have some to trim
after they bloom later this spring. I will let
it dry for the summer and give some a try.

see here
Lilac is noted here. I never thought about it, but I guess it has its uses. I too have lilac in my yard that needs trimming. Might give some a go

Dave, I saw that same site and figured I would ask here and see if anyone tried it.

Every time I think of it I think of candied Lilac's. lol

I'm just wondering if it would be noticeable in the cook or not.

I guess I'll have to give it a try after i do a little pruning.

I have used rosemary wood with both good and bad results. First time I used about 5 bunches of the dried wood branches with the herb still attached...too much of a good thing. I also think the combo with fruit wood wasn't a good match. The second time I used one bunch only with hickory and loved the results.

Randy

Lilac is nice with lamb or small cuts of pork that are cooked at higher heat and will cook a shorter time, like tenderloin.

Rosemary is nice used in the same way.

Rosemary is also nice added to the coals for grilled pork or lamb too, like chops, tenderloin, and so forth. Go with less than you think till you see what's what and how you like it, as Randy notes.

ok thanks guys.

I'll try using some of the lilac and rosemary this summer and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I figured since rosemary is such a strong herb I would go light on it to start.
icon_smile.gif

Back