Smoke wood sources - Philly metro area

Mike A.

TVWBB Fan
Anyone have any good sources for smoke wood chunks (other than hickory & mesquite) in the Philadelphia/SJ area? I'm looking for apple, cherry or other fruit woods.

For charcoal I've been very happy with Humphrey's lump, $9/20lb at Smith & Boyd, 1901 E Lehigh Ave, Philly 19125-1196 (215) 739-6700.

Thanks for any ideas.

cabellas has smoke wood. You can order online or go to their store off the PA turnpike.

I bought 20 bags of Humpreys and was not that fond of it. It was small size and there was basically no flavor when grilling. I much perfer B&B or Wicked Good.

I've gotten all types of wood from Nature's own. The prices are good, but the shipping adds up. Here's the link
I've also ordered guava wood from Greg at Hawaii guava. His prices are suprisingly good. The only other suggestion I have is to try to find an orchard in your area, talk to the guys doing their pruning and try to work something out.
Good luck.

The guy I get my firewwod from always saves logs of cherry, apple, and oak for me. You may want to look in the yellow pages for firewood dealers to see if they have any they'd want to sell you. Too, next time you're out in the country, stop by an orchard and ask if they have any to sell. What's the worst they can say: "Sorry, no"?

If I remember correctly, you can mail-order wood chunks from a place called "Peoples Woods" off the 'net. Might even be a link from this site. Hope this helps...

Alan

"Red meat's not bad for you. It's fuzzy green meat that'll kill ya!"

I often cook in the Philly area. I'll cook at Bristol in May, stop by and you can have a few fireplace logs. I usually bring apple, cherry and sugar maple. Team name is Lost Nation Smoke Company.

Rich Decker

Rich -
Thanks, that sounds like a good opportunity to grab some wood and some Q. In the meantime, a friend lost part of the cherry tree in his yard (swear I didn't do it) and I am the beneficiary.

Coleman -
You are right about the Humphrey's, no flavor at all and a lot of small pieces, but great heat and burn time. I opened a bag of Cowboy tonight, looked like some floorboards in there.

Back