SMD Heatermeter on a RPI B+? Yes, it can be done......

Yeah, looks good! I agree on the 4 buttons. The 5.0 prototype I have has 4 of the double-sized 12mm buttons and it makes me hate the 4-way switch. I initially used the 6mm buttons, but they felt rocky once the larger button caps were on. I have the space because I went double decker. I also spread out the LEDs because they were too close together for a molded plastic part to fill the gap between them reliably.

I noticed that, but no offense it looks unfinished to me. The length of the stems sticking out isn't why I'd put caps on the buttons, but rather for the appearance and also so it has a large finger-friendly operational area.

I really like the SMD design. I bought a 2in1 soldering iron & hot air SMD rework station from ebay for ~$50 when I built my first two HM's. Peter, what kind of soldering paste did you use with the hot air nozzle to solder the SMD parts? Do you also have the parts list for the SMD in a mouser cart? Is the board on OSH Park?

I favor SMD if it can bring down the overall build costs. I might have to invest in a 3d printer as my next toy so I can have fun like you all appear to be doing with this thread.

Yeah, looks good! I agree on the 4 buttons. The 5.0 prototype I have has 4 of the double-sized 12mm buttons and it makes me hate the 4-way switch. I initially used the 6mm buttons, but they felt rocky once the larger button caps were on. I have the space because I went double decker. I also spread out the LEDs because they were too close together for a molded plastic part to fill the gap between them reliably.

Bryan-
Are you sharing the 5.0 prototype anywhere? You going a multi-board/stackable design with some kind of header/pin connection system? The LCD backpack looks interesting and I'm curious to see the rest of the new 5.0 setup.

I love your last version!!!

have you posted your project on Mouser?
we can buy the new pcb to Oshpark? (not version 5)?

and.... where we find the stl or solidworks files for the case?

thanks emanuele

I love your last version!!!

have you posted your project on Mouser?
we can buy the new pcb to Oshpark? (not version 5)?

and.... where we find the stl or solidworks files for the case?

thanks emanuele

All these things will available in the very near future, but still need to finalize the design.

I will also start selling DIY kits, PCB's and cases soon.

The case design is ready

Top;
SMD%20HM%20V5%20TC%20front.jpg

Bottom;
SMD%20HM%20V5%20TC%20back.jpg

I am currently printing 18 of these puppies for my next batch of pre-builds, this is #3;

If only my printer was really this fast........

Last edited:
I have been playing with the board layout and I think I will go for this version;

HM5.0%20SMD%20COMBI%20V1.jpg

Pros;
- Four individual buttons instead of the 4 way navigation switch. I can't find the SKQUAAA010 anymore for reasonable prices so 4 buttons are the way to go.
- It's a combined TC and thermistor board, just like the original.
- Hole spacing is compatible with V4.2.4, makes it easier to design a case.
- Better layout of the components, less vias required.
- Should fit a RPI B+ without trimming the RPI header.

Cons;
- Doesn't fit in any of the current cases.

Where we find this pcb on oshpark?

Looks pretty sweet!

Have you checked out how well it does on noise levels yet? I know the HMv4.2.4 board had very little noise and even Bryan has been having difficulty achieving that again on the v5 designs he has been working on. It looks like you've got things laid out properly here though, so I am betting it will run pretty clean.

NICE JOB!

EDIT:
I had commented that it appeared the shift register was a bit close to the CAT5 jack, but now I realize with the boards side by side on the picture I confused the position of the shift register... I was looking at the shift register from the next board over....

Last edited:
Looks pretty sweet!

Have you checked out how well it does on noise levels yet? I know the HMv4.2.4 board had very little noise and even Bryan has been having difficulty achieving that again on the v5 designs he has been working on. It looks like you've got things laid out properly here though, so I am betting it will run pretty clean.

NICE JOB!

Thanks for the compliment.

There is a small noise issue when using the thermocouple (yellow icon), with a thermistor pit probe no noise at all.

What I don't like about this design is that the inductor is to far away from the switching mosfet. In my opinion all connections between the two (and also the 47μF capacitor) should be as short as possible to reduce any high frequency noise. Due to height limitations I couldn't place the inductor anywhere else on the board, that's why I'm looking into using SMD inductors and capacitors for the next version, these might just fit.

Last edited:

Back