Slow Smoked Chicken

Tom O

TVWBB Fan
Rita-Y put a recipe for Slow Smoked Chicken in the recipe group. I am going to try it this weekend. It looks good.

The question is: "What sawdust should I use for smoking? I have three available: alder, hickory and mesquite. Mesquite does not sound right, but the only way I have used alder is to smoke salmon. It may be too sweet.

I am leaning toward a 50-50 mixture of hickory and alder.

Any suggestions?....tom

The Alder/Hickory mix sounds good. Remember go easy on the smoke for poultry. It's very easy to over smoke poultry. My favorite for poultry is cherry, with apple second.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Bryan....I agree with you, cherry is my favorite for poultry. Unfortuately I don't have any in the form of sawdust. Maybe I should get my saw our amd get ready for next weekend....tom

I am following a technique proposed by Bruce Aidells. You smoke the chicken at 100degrees by using the sawdust in a disposable pan. I have not done this before, but it looks interesting. Details are in the Poultry Recipes forum under the title: Cold-Smoked Chicken in Chinese Cure + Smoked Chicken, Bok Choy & Cashew Salad submitted by Rita-Y. The chicken is not cooked by this method. You have to bake it.

If it works, I am going to smoke some salmon. Should be fun.....tom

Gee I wish I had cherry, but you go to Q with the sawdust you have. Right now I am on scedule, but may marinade a bit longer as we have had a power outage the last few hours and my partner is taking over the kitchen for dinner. No big deal as the power outage was only a couple of hours and it is the price you pay to live in the mountains...tom

I found out I had some apple so that is what I used. The recipe is quite good.

What were my problems? Well I used a Weber grill pan. It is too big and the sawdust was spread too thin. The six briquets called for in the recipe were too many. The temperature immediately went above 140. I got rid of two and it was OK.

I could not get a sustained burn with the sawdust so I hauled out my big chieftan(now banned by the NCAA) and lit up two pans of sawdust. It worked.

I think it would be better off with a smaller pan and a thicker layer of sawdust.

I also had trouble starting 6 briquets. I finally put in enough to force an updraft and put the ones I wasn't using in my ash garbage can. This was useful as later when the temps were dropping, I could just add another briquet.

It is interesting and, when we return from a trip, I will try to slow smoke some salmon...tom

Back