Sliced Pork Butt

Doug KC

TVWBB Fan
I compete in the Midwest and I guess a lot of teams turn in slices and chunks. Can someone advise me on how to get a bone in butt to slice into 6 equal parts? Or would a boned, rolled and tied butt work better for this? What is the best finishing internal temp? I was thinking 175 to break down as much as the fat as possible so the judge wouldn't be eating a big hunk of fat. We would like to turn in 6 slices with some so chunked and pulled.

Thanks!
Doug

I've never done that for a comp, but when I do that at home I take it to about 180-185, foil and rest it, remove the bone and slice it thin, like deli meat. In a comp I sure wouldn't slice it into six steak-thick pieces. I'd rather have a pile of thin slices. Just my take on it.

You need to butterfly the butt thus exposing the loin portion that you will be slicing. Just be sure, for competitions though, that the butt must still be cooked whole. Leave enough meat attached to the bone to keep in one piece. When you cook lay it open and cook to approx. 175.

Back