Simple chicken brine

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
I have a ~5 lb chicken thawing in the fridge for tomarrow. I've never tried my hand at brining anything and thought it would be a good time to try it. I see that the most simple brine is just salt and water, I would like something a little more complex then that. I plan on using DP's Swamp Venom for seasoning. Any tips for my first brine?

Brandon, I'm partial to the Jack Daniels and Maple syrup brine that I use. I've used it exclusively on whole chickens with excellent results. If you search on "pickling" in Turkey Talk you'll find it. I brine whole chickens around 8 - 10 hours.

I usually make a basic brine of water, salt and sugar.

It seems to take some time for flavors to get into the meat, and they're are usually hard to detect in the finished product. You can effectively brine a chicken overnight, but dont expect it to pick up much flavor in that short amount of time. I do a lot of brining and that has been my perception. I tend to be skeptical of brine recipes that call for a teaspoon of this or a tablespoon of that. I use to make those type of brines but now just keep things simple and focus on flavoring my rubs and sauces.

If you do intend to use herbs and spices in your brine make sure you release their flavors by making a tea first. You got to get the flavor compounds into solution if you are planning on them getting into your meat.

keep things simple. focus on one flavor that wont be in rub or sauce and see if you can taste it when its done. I've had some luck with orange. I'll throw a can of frozen, concentrated o.j. into the hot brine, and it'll help to bring the temp down.

I highly recommend brining poultry and lean pork roasts. You'll definitely notice a difference in the flavor, texture, and moisture, just dont expect much in the way of other flavors.

JB, so how does this sound...

1 gal water brought to a boil, add 3/4 cup kosher salt 2/3 cup sugar and 1 tbs black peppercorns. Then, cut the heat and add a can of frozen oj concentrate. It looks like a nice simple starting place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Brandon, I'm partial to the Jack Daniels and Maple syrup brine that I use. I've used it exclusively on whole chickens with excellent results. If you search on "pickling" in Turkey Talk you'll find it. I brine whole chickens around 8 - 10 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1!!

I did a turkey breast w/ that brine for Thanksgiving and it was outstanding.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">JB, so how does this sound...

1 gal water brought to a boil, add 3/4 cup kosher salt 2/3 cup sugar and 1 tbs black peppercorns. Then, cut the heat and add a can of frozen oj concentrate. It looks like a nice simple starting place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's pretty much my recipe! I used 1 lb brown sugar, otherwise its exactly the same.

I compliment the orange with chipotle rub:

2/3 salt (or less depending on the brine)
1 cumin
1 coriander
2/3 blk pepper
1 chipotle
1/2 ancho

If you decide to try it out let me know. I'm kind of taking an informal poll on whether flavors in brine make a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:

1 gal water brought to a boil, add 3/4 cup kosher salt 2/3 cup sugar and 1 tbs black peppercorns. Then, cut the heat and add a can of frozen oj concentrate. It looks like a nice simple starting place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You only need boil 1 quart to dissolve that amount of salt and sugar. And actually it doesn't need to be fully boiling either. Just add it once the water is steaming and stir while heating until dissolved.

I'd then add 1-2 quarts water and the concentrated OJ. Mix, then bring to 1 gal. volume with water and ice cubes as needed.

might want to go easy on the swamp venom after brining. the SV has a fair amount of salt in it. i love that stuff though. it's great on wings grilled indirect and then glazed with head country BBQ sauce. mmmm..mmm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Brandon, I'm partial to the Jack Daniels and Maple syrup brine that I use. I've used it exclusively on whole chickens with excellent results. If you search on "pickling" in Turkey Talk you'll find it. I brine whole chickens around 8 - 10 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1!!

I did a turkey breast w/ that brine for Thanksgiving and it was outstanding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like a good brine but I dont drink Jack, anymore, I suppose a cognac could be subed. That way I could enjoy the rest of the bottle
icon_wink.gif
. I am also missing the pickling spice.

I agree with j biesinger.
Basic brine - salt sugar water. I also add a teaspoon of mustard powder and a teaspoon of garlic powder. I brine for 5 hours.
I don't use a rub just oil and a little S&P.
The garlic and mustard powders are to give the outside of the chicken a little flavour and the sugar to counteract the saltiness.

Regards

The brine I've used is 1 gal water, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup kosher salt and a few cloves of pressed garlic.

I just use a light dusting of 1/1 ratio lemon zest and fresh ground pepper (the peppercorn blend has multiple types: white, pink, green, tellicherry and malaber.)

Brandon, do you plan on using any wood on this cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup Larry, I'll throw a couple hunks of cherry on, its the only fruit wood I have on hand.

The brine was:

1 gal water
3/4 cup mortens kosher salt
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 can minute maid oj frozen concentrate

I butterflied the chicken and put it into the brine at midnight last night, just took it out this morning at 9am.

Im still planing to use the DP Swamp Venom on one half, maybe McCormic's turkey rub on the other half. Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to report back with the results.

I created this flavor brine and used it on a turkey at xmas. It worked very well, the flavor permeated the meat to the thickest part of the breast. I'll be doing it again and I'd do it with chickens too. Only thing to mention is next time I'll omit the hot sauce. I didn't think I noticed it even a little bit.

2008-12-28a015.jpg

Brine Recipe:

4qts water
2C Diamond Kosher (I used pickling salt equiv by weight)
2C sugar
2 red bell peppers roasted black, peeled & diced
1 medium onion sliced
10 cloves garlic
5 stalks of celery
handful of celery leaves
1/4C Whole peppercorns, lightly toasted
3T Dry Basil leaves
3T Dry Oregano Leaves
2T Dry Thyme
8 Bay Leaves
1T gr white pepper
4T Zatarain's Crab Boil
1 bottle Franks Xtra Hot Red Hot Sauce, 148ml

Bring everything together in 2 qts of water, simmer 1 hour covered, mash veggies some with a potato masher, simmer another hour or so until the veggies look fairly spent.
Cool, add 2 qts cold water, once below 40ºF add skinned turkey and brine for 36 hours. Air dry an hour or so, lightly coat with oil. Apply light sprinkle of rub.

Smoke at 250ºF until done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:

Cool, add 2 qts cold water, once below 40ºF add skinned turkey and brine for 36 hours. Air dry an hour or so, lightly coat with oil. Apply light sprinkle of rub.

Smoke at 250ºF until done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got to thinking about this and was wondering, do people remove the skin often before brining (whole/half chickens and turkeys)? I did some searching and read a post that said brine dosent penetrate the skin at all. Would it help to try to seperate the skin from the meat everywhere you can and poke holes in the skin to help allow the brine to reach the meat?

The chicken I did yesterday came out very, very juicy and were not very salty at all. The salt came mostly from the rub on the skin. But I dont think the OJ in the brine came through either. Maybe because it didnt come in contact with the meat?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I got to thinking about this and was wondering, do people remove the skin often before brining (whole/half chickens and turkeys)? I did some searching and read a post that said brine dosent penetrate the skin at all. Would it help to try to seperate the skin from the meat everywhere you can and poke holes in the skin to help allow the brine to reach the meat?

The chicken I did yesterday came out very, very juicy and were not very salty at all. The salt came mostly from the rub on the skin. But I dont think the OJ in the brine came through either. Maybe because it didnt come in contact with the meat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Skin does not do well in the brine. I usually try to let my birds air dry in a fridge for 24 hours before smoking. Also, from what I understand osmosis continues after the bird comes out of the brine, so in this extra time, salt and water are evenly distributing themselves.

It might be worth while injecting brine under the skin. I never thought to do it but I'll bet we'll get better flavor penetration with deeper contact.

I've thought about ditching the skin altogether. when bbq'ing poultry, it comes out limp but unfortunately it contains most of the rub and smoke. We have created a protocol for competition chicken that avoids a bunch of these problems but its not something I would do for a home cook since its pretty involved.

Back