Side table- DIY freebie!

Cale Allan

After envying all of the really unique table setups, I knew that I had to build one. For the amount of space on my deck, I was drawn to the early 90's Weber side table concept. I was lucky enough to get my neighbors old gasser for free when he upgraded. Extremely lucky in fact, this grill was made by the Australian company, Sunshine Legend. It was very well built with the famed Austrailian Rred Jarrah wood. Here's my FREE build...

Finished product:

Donor grill:

The mock up for leg measurement:

Sanded top:

Top with mineral oil:

and again:

Action shot:

I would like to say a big thank you to all of the members who have shared ideas. THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Hinges:

Folded for storage:

I even had just enough scrap to build another one as a Father's Day gift for my Father-in-law:

I like it!

Its nice of all those other grill companies to make cart and table parts for our Webers. (ok, that was snobby)

Thanks for the kind words. Here are a few pictures of how I attached it to the handle. I basically screwed my bottom support board in place against the kettle handle, then I took a sharpie to mark the handle contours. Then I cut to small pieces of scrap material, drilled pilots, added glue and screwed them in place.

....and I'm starting to regret not sanding and finishing the underside. crap. looks like another project for another day.

I've been thinking about something similar since grabbed a kettle from craigslist recently. I think I may have to "borrow" some of your design. Great work.

I've been thinking about something similar since grabbed a kettle from craigslist recently. I think I may have to "borrow" some of your design. Great work.

Charlie, dive in and make one, it was really easy! I spend more time staring at my pile of scrap wood trying to figure out how to make this without going out and buying more wood. The build itself was pretty simple. Make sure to post pictures if you make one!

Cale, great job! I think even I might be able to do this (minus the exotic wood). One question, though: Since you were using screws, why the need for glue?

JoeMap

Charlie, dive in and make one, it was really easy! I spend more time staring at my pile of scrap wood trying to figure out how to make this without going out and buying more wood. The build itself was pretty simple. Make sure to post pictures if you make one!

Thanks Cale,

I'm not the handiest guy but motivation can cover up for a lack of skill. I got my kettle for $8 on CL, and after a few minor part replacements/upgrades it cooks "close" to a brand new one, and next time people come over for a BBQ they will crap when i tell them what my set up cost me!

Keeping with this theme, i am either going to do a direct copy of you and strip an old gasser or maybe grab some scrap pallets. People online are making some crazy stuff out of pallets these days and they are everywhere.

PS i like that bucket mod too!

Cale, great job! I think even I might be able to do this (minus the exotic wood). One question, though: Since you were using screws, why the need for glue?

JoeMap

Thanks Joe, you can definitely do it, super easy! The exotic wood was just dumb luck--I only used glue because this wood was very hard and dry which caused the first piece I screwed to crack and split. After that I made sure to pre-drill everything and i used the glue to hold it together in case it would have split--just an extra precaution.

Back