Settings help

So I had an SD card go bad and an starting my configuration over from scratch. I have an electric smoker with SSR and is it correct to set it up for that to see the min and max to 100%?

Also, if anyone else is running an electric and could share their PIS settings it would save me a lot of trial and error and I would greatly appreciate it!

I think you need to set the HM for PULSE MODE when using a SSR, and I also think you want the min/max to both be 100%. This way the HM will do cycles of full on/full off rather than incremental speeds.

I've never run a SSR setup so I could be wrong, but I think this is the basic setup you would need...

I think you need to set the HM for PULSE MODE when using a SSR, and I also think you want the min/max to both be 100%. This way the HM will do cycles of full on/full off rather than incremental speeds.

I've never run a SSR setup so I could be wrong, but I think this is the basic setup you would need...

Thanks for the response. I's 50/50 on pulse/variable so I can play with that. I know it was documented somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

50/50 should work the same as 100/100 assuming the voltage it puts out at 50% is enough to toggle your SSR. As long as the min/max are the same it should just pulse on/off at that value. I haven't looked at the HM output in Pulse mode with a volt meter or scope, so you might give that a shot and see what voltage you are getting and verify that it is not pulsing and at a proper level to drive your SSR. You want to achieve the desired SSR control signal voltage in an on/off fashion coming out of the HM, so your meter should show the output voltage going from zero to enough to flip your SSR and back. At 100% your HM should be putting out 12VDC or whatever your PS is feeding it...

50/50 should work the same as 100/100 assuming the voltage it puts out at 50% is enough to toggle your SSR. As long as the min/max are the same it should just pulse on/off at that value. I haven't looked at the HM output in Pulse mode with a volt meter or scope, so you might give that a shot and see what voltage you are getting and verify that it is not pulsing and at a proper level to drive your SSR. You want to achieve the desired SSR control signal voltage in an on/off fashion coming out of the HM, so your meter should show the output voltage going from zero to enough to flip your SSR and back. At 100% your HM should be putting out 12VDC or whatever your PS is feeding it...

It worked just fine on 100/100/Voltage. Even the default PID settings were fine, id take about 4 periods for the oscillations to stop but that's only at startup. I remember when I initially built this that I had a rough time with PID and ultimately ended up moving the pit sensor from the factory location. Looks like that had a much larger effect on stability than the actual PID settings.

Thanks again!

Back