Settin' myself up?

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
In a pinch tonight I picked up a small brisket flat from the local supermarket-- it's three pounds in weight. Am I just setting myself up for disappointment in thinking I can carefully do this on my WSM?

Guess I can't help but think that so long as I keep the temp low, like 200-225, and keep a close eye on temp and "feel" that I can get something decent, but I'm far from an expert on these things.

I don't think so... You will do it right and then tell us how you did it.. Don't forget the pics..

I did a 3 pound point one time and it came out great. Only took about 3 hours. Go for it! :wsm:

Depending on how much of the fat cap they left, it could be challenging but can be done. Personally, I would run it up to an internal temp of around 165-175 then foil and finish and don't try to get too tender at the end. Preventing overcooking will be the biggest challenge. A long resting period in foil in a cooler will also help. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out for you.

Supposing there isn't much fat cap left, could I place it on top of a sheet of foil on the cooking grate to help protect it a little bit?

Going to get things started in maybe an hour or so-- will be keeping a diligent eye on things to hopefully avoid overcooking the thing.

Back