Sesame seared ahi, again!

Excellent choices in both food and drink....keep your eyes open for other " flavors " of Paulaner if you haven't had others before.
I love your tuna cooks....I remember you saying something about fresh vs frozen.
I have 2 pieces I bought fresh but took home and vac packed......what should I know about grilling from frozen that is different from fresh if you don't mind a quick offering in tips...........

Excellent choices in both food and drink....keep your eyes open for other " flavors " of Paulaner if you haven't had others before.
I love your tuna cooks....I remember you saying something about fresh vs frozen.
I have 2 pieces I bought fresh but took home and vac packed......what should I know about grilling from frozen that is different from fresh if you don't mind a quick offering in tips...........
If searing from frozen, make sure they’re thawed so that you have a slightly warmed center.

The texture of previously frozen will be different than fresh but that doesn’t matter much.

Lightly salt the outside of the thawed steaks for 10 minutes.

Rub with sesame oil. Add white and black sesame seeds and some fresh cracked black pepper.

Sear each side until you just begin to see color rise up the sides of each steak.

This cook above was a medium heat so I had a little more time to cook each side.

Key part is to not overcook the tuna. You want it rare/raw in the middle for texture and flavor contrast.

Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.

It’s a very simple and filling meal. All prep and serve can be done in 30-40 minutes max. That includes making a pot of rice.

If searing from frozen, make sure they’re thawed so that you have a slightly warmed center.

The texture of previously frozen will be different than fresh but that doesn’t matter much.

Lightly salt the outside of the thawed steaks for 10 minutes.

Rub with sesame oil. Add white and black sesame seeds and some fresh cracked black pepper.

Sear each side until you just begin to see color rise up the sides of each steak.

This cook above was a medium heat so I had a little more time to cook each side.

Key part is to not overcook the tuna. You want it rare/raw in the middle for texture and flavor contrast.

Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.

It’s a very simple and filling meal. All prep and serve can be done in 30-40 minutes max. That includes making a pot of rice.
Awesome.....I have made tuna before, I was just not sure if something was going to be off because it is currently frozen.
I will be cooking from a thawed state for sure.....
Salt it, then oil it.......and add seeds before grilling....
I do have some sesame oil too so that does sound interesting.

Last edited:
Boring! (In a very good way!) :)

I have to trek to CostCo today.....may need to copy your dinner if they've got some ahi! :)

Boring! (In a very good way!) :)

I have to trek to CostCo today.....may need to copy your dinner if they've got some ahi! :)
i agree, it is boring but satisfying. and your choice if beer/adult beverage will elevate your experience.

or whip up some fried edamame (crushed garlic, soy sauce and a small amount of neutral oil) to go with it.

i agree, it is boring but satisfying. and your choice if beer/adult beverage will elevate your experience.

or whip up some fried edamame (crushed garlic, soy sauce and a small amount of neutral oil) to go with it.
Well, I ended up at SoSF CostCo Business Center (because I needed a couple hundred pounds of flour), and they don't have any fresh seafood there. The racks of short ribs (USDA Choice) looked good and meaty, and the whole, lip-on Prime ribeye looked good too. I resisted. Unfortunately.

Well, I ended up at SoSF CostCo Business Center (because I needed a couple hundred pounds of flour), and they don't have any fresh seafood there. The racks of short ribs (USDA Choice) looked good and meaty, and the whole, lip-on Prime ribeye looked good too. I resisted. Unfortunately.
I think the BC Costco only sells salmon in a cryo plastic tray and frozen shellfish.

But their Haribo gummy bear selection is 2nd to none.

Back