Served Pulled Pork to 75 last night.

Tim Quon

TVWBB Pro
God I love my 22.5 WSM! Always reliable and predictable. A real workhorse!
Started with 5 butts ranging from 12.5 to 9.5 lbs trimmed and tied. Thursday evening I rubbed down with yellow mustard and Chris Lilly's Championship
recipe. Friday evening I injected with Chris Lilly's recipe(both found in the Cooking Topics)and using the Minion method, I put the 12.5 pounder in at 10:00PM, Three 11 pounders at 12:00AM and the 9.5 at 1:00AM. The temperature was set at 225 and I stayed up until 2:00AM to make sure temps was steady and then went to bed. Woke up at 6:00AM to find the WSM chugging away at 210. With a small vent adjustment and a light tap on the WSM feet, I had her up at 225 again. At 9:00AM I added about 50 new coals to give the WSM a little boost. All the butts were hung up for a few hours at 165. By 3:30PM all the butts had reached 195. I wrapped in foil, wrapped in towels and stored in cooler for serving at 6:30PM. When it came time to pull, all the meat just melted. Soooo good. Served with coleslaw, potato salad and homemade Kansas City Beans (Smoke & Spice) mmmmmmm!

Used RO instead of KF and was quite pleased with it. Was less than half the price of the King.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">God I love my 22.5 WSM! Always reliable and predictable. A real workhorse! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree. Put a brisket on at 10:00 last night at 200* Went to bed and woke up at 6:00 this morn, thought I should go and check the smoker. Guess what, it was at 200* I love this thing.

Good job with your cook.

If you can find some Basques, or Maple leaf lump, grab it, much better than RO.

So how did the quantities hold up. Sounds like you cooked about 50 lbs raw for 75 people.

Also, what is the most Butts anyone has done on an 18.5 WSM? the 22 WSM

So how did the quantities hold up. Sounds like you cooked about 50 lbs raw for 75 people.
Also, what is the most Butts anyone has done on an 18.5 WSM? the 22 WSM
Wm. Wynne

Hey Wm. After trimming, I put on 55 lbs. of raw. Had about a pound of the cooked stuff left over. Guess who got to take it home....

No water in the WSM. Just a couple of foil wrapped fire bricks. Worked great & easy clean up.

The most I've done is six in a 22.5. With three on the bottom and three on the top. I think by standing the butts on the ends on the top rack you could fit four. I would start to worry about heat and smoke circulation with more butts.

Dave, Never tried lump in the WSM. Will give it a try soon. Does it burn hotter, faster?

Cheers,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dave, Never tried lump in the WSM. Will give it a try soon. Does it burn hotter, faster? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tim, I can get a full 8 -9 or more hrs with a ring of lump in an 18 inch WSM before reloading. My cook started about 9 on Sat night, and I added some at 7 Sun morn. to finish my brisket. Ran the WSM about 215 all night long dome temp.

I only use lump for all my cooks. Always have.

Maple Leaf available form Home Hardware and RONA. Basques I am not sure where to get it in Montreal. Click here for locations near you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, what is the most Butts anyone has done on an 18.5 WSM? the 22 WSM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done 12x 10 lbs butts, but I have a 3rd rack installed.

Tim,

Did you use boneless? You mention tied.

You can fit 4 butts on there wihtout stacking on ends. Parts of them will have to touch, so you just try to minimize that to maximize the bark. Smoke circulation is fine with the 22" maxed out. But you have to start with a lot more lit, and you need more exhaust to get it going (I am installing a 2nd exhaust vent for this reason). I have 3 racks in my 22", and when I fill it up the top rack runs slower than the bottom two.

I am in awe!! I'm still trying to get things dialed in, but did some St. Loius style this last Friday and everyone was pleased (except me, of course, I thought they could've been better). I have both a 12lb beef clod and 2 4.5 lb butts waiting for me to get the courage to do what you all are doing (an overnighter) so I'll just keep dialing it in until then. Congrats!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Quon:
God I love my 22.5 WSM! Always reliable and predictable. A real workhorse!
Started with 5 butts ranging from 12.5 to 9.5 lbs trimmed and tied. Thursday evening I rubbed down with yellow mustard and Chris Lilly's Championship
recipe. Friday evening I injected with Chris Lilly's recipe(both found in the Cooking Topics)and using the Minion method, I put the 12.5 pounder in at 10:00PM, Three 11 pounders at 12:00AM and the 9.5 at 1:00AM. The temperature was set at 225 and I stayed up until 2:00AM to make sure temps was steady and then went to bed. Woke up at 6:00AM to find the WSM chugging away at 210. With a small vent adjustment and a light tap on the WSM feet, I had her up at 225 again. At 9:00AM I added about 50 new coals to give the WSM a little boost. All the butts were hung up for a few hours at 165. By 3:30PM all the butts had reached 195. I wrapped in foil, wrapped in towels and stored in cooler for serving at 6:30PM. When it came time to pull, all the meat just melted. Soooo good. Served with coleslaw, potato salad and homemade Kansas City Beans (Smoke & Spice) mmmmmmm!

Used RO instead of KF and was quite pleased with it. Was less than half the price of the King. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgive me as I'm a WSM neophyte, but you got all five butts in one WSM?

jb

Hey everyone,

JS-I always use bone in but I prefer to tie them to keep everything uniform & compact. No loose pieces hanging out after trimming. Third rack huh. You got me interested.

Linda-Keep at it! The more you smoke the more experience & confidence you will gain.

Brian-Yep, I got five huge butts in the 22.5 & as you can see from the other members more will fit.

Dave K-I've seen ML at Rona. Have you ever used RO Lump? I seen that at Canadian Tire. Thanks. You just gave me an excuse to smoke something using lump this weekend.

Couple of weeks ago did 8 butts (about 65 lbs) for my son's boys scout troop on my 18.5". Four butts to a rack was a lot of meat and threw all conventional wisdom out the window. Took a long time to get to 250. I lit 40 briqs and probably should have lit another 10 or more to start off. The trusty DigiQ with the 10cm fan was working overtime on this cook. Had to keep the top vent at 100% open to get any air flow through the smoker. Usually with the DigiQ, just throw on a couple of butts and a brisket and let the bullet do its thing, but with 8 butts, did a lot of re-arraging for even cooking. Six of the 8-pounders came off a couple of hours before the two 10-pounders. Six of the butts completely filled up a 20 quart roaster and was completey devoured by the boys scouts and their families. Thought maybe was cooking too much, but they put them away quickly, one boy scout had seven pulled pork sammies!

I have cooked for 20+ family members on birthdays and such, but having cooked for 80 on my bullet was a real learning experience. I am a Texas boy and prefer brisket, but with a large crowd, butts are the way to go. There is no way I could have cooked brisket for 80 as easily as I did with the butts. With some decent sides, the 8 butts could have probably fed 100 people (sammies at least). Not looking forward to doing it again any time soon, was nervous and kept checking temps every hour or so, but good to know I have the tools to feed 80-100 people if called upon.

Back