Seasoning wood

Greg Muller

TVWBB Member
I am cutting down a Maple tree and I want to use it to smoke. Does it need to be dry or seasoned before it can go in the smoker.

I could be wrong, but, I've read more than once that not all maple is good to smoke with. Some of it is not all that hard. Sugar maple is an excellent smoke wood and is the only maple I use; The rest, I use in the fireplace
icon_smile.gif
I don't believe sugar maple is the norm in these parts of NY. Hope others chime in on this..

But, to answer you question, yes, it should be seasoned. I know some that use green wood but you have to know what you're doing. Branches can be cut to length, then split and seasoned relatively quickly but the main trunk would take a good year at these latitudes to season before I'd use it. HTH

Bill

I picked up a branch off a silver maple earlier in the summer, probably about 5" in diameter. Cut it up with the chop saw and split in quarters, it was dry in about 2 weeks laying outside in the sun.

Tastes the same as sugar maple to me.... and the silver maple is one of the softer ones too.

With this experience, I will take any maple I can get and use it without fear.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Back