Seasoning Smoke Wood

B.Watts

TVWBB Fan
Some neighbors just chopped down a couple cherry trees and I'm able to get my hands on both some limbs that are about the diameter of my fist as well as some logs from the main trunk of the tree.

How long should I expect to "season" the wood before it's good for smoking? I assume the process will happen faster if I go ahead and chop/chunk it up? Do you leave it out in the sun or just leave it covered where it will stay dry?

Thanks.

You're correct in assuming that cutting the wood into smaller pieces dries it out faster. When I trim my oaks, I usually cut the pieces down to the finished size and just toss them in a 5 gal bucket in my garage. I let those sit for about 6 months+. Most of the seasoned wood I just leave outside exposed (we really don't get much rain anymore
icon_mad.gif
) It really depends on your temps, air circulation, humidity, etc. If you toss a couple of pieces on the coals a little early, it probably won't hurt. There's a restaurant in Austin that only uses green mesquite for smoking!

I cut/chop mine to finish size as wel (for me, that's 1/4-1/3 the size of a fist) and start using it within a couple or three weeks.

Thanks for the advice. To this point I've only used mail order smoke wood. Wasn't sure if I would need to wait months or weeks...based on the responses thus far, it sounds like people do both.
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh man, cherry is disgusting. Don't touch it, just give me your address and i'll dispose of it for you.

I too cut my stuff up to the size I will use for smoking and just let it hang out in the garage in a bin. I did see the place that uses that green mesquite on TV, my god, the smoke coming out of that pit. Even the guy said it is really hard on pits since it builds up so much.

Just remember the smaller you cut it the faster it dries out. Also if you want to keep some for future use, leave it big so it doesn't dry out as fast, so it will produce smoke flavor a year or 2 from now.
icon_wink.gif
That said, fruit wood can be used green/wet. Just use less than you would if it was seasoned. I love using green apple wood.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Also if you want to keep some for future use, leave it big so it doesn't dry out as fast, so it will produce smoke flavor a year or 2 from now.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point.

OH boy here it goes

im using apple stump parts that are well over the twenty years old that I know of (my dad bought the orchard when I was 3) and were probably stacked up there before that. I get a good apple flavor with them. I use cherry chunks from stumps that are exactly 17 years old, some of my favorite wood. And oak that is 5-ish, apricots that has been dead on the side of my driveway as long as i've owned the place, all good, skinny branches and all. Not bein smart, just saying that might not be true (or isn't) that it somehow loses its flavor. I get even more flavor when I use more chunks.
icon_confused.gif
just thought i'de say.

Back