Seasoning new SS grates

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
I've got a set of seasoned SS grates that I got off another grill. My son is still using a set of cast iron grates on the 2007 E-320 I gave him for Christmas last year. I've got a brand new set of SS grates that I would like to have him try, but I think they need some seasoning first. How should I do that?

I never bothered to be honest. If they're quality they'll work fine with not much more than a cleaning

If anything, wipe some vegetable oil on them before you use them. If you let you grill heat up to about 500 before you throw meat on it, you will find that helps a bunch in keeping food from sticking.

But, you should probably wash them with soap and water before using them anyway.

I did the same as Bruce with my then new RCP grates 3 years ago. Occasionally give them a new bath of oil . What also helps a ton since I got one is that new u shaped grate cleaner Char Gon-amazing.

Bob is right about the Chargon too. That is probably the biggest thing you can use for maintenance of the larger 9mm stainless rod grates.

They are Weber SS grates I bought back in 2008 when a dealer was clearing stock. I think I'll try seasoning them on my Genesis first before handing them over. Eliminates some of the questions I might get from him. I agree on the Chargon. Don't use it after burgers or steaks, but it sure does come in handy for any sauces which always stick!

Yah, the nice thing about good SS grates is that if you don't keep them real clean, they don't tend to corrode like CI might.

Back