Scratched cookbox while cleaning

SamF

Hey Folks,

It's that time of year and I've been getting my Genesis E-325S Gas Grill (now in its 3rd Summer) ready to go.

I did a good clean at the end of last season but there was some mould etc so I went in for a bigger clean. I noticed that along the back part of the cooking box it was very thick, almost tar like grease that the plastic scraper wasn't dealing with, so I started angling it which helped and I also used my grill grate (steel) brush which dispatched most of the nastiness but then i've noticed quite a few scratches

I am not really concnered on physical appearance; that will go black again soon enough but can this damage the box? It's really hard getting all the grime off with just a plastic scraper, and I clean 2-3 times a year...

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Folks,

It's that time of year and I've been getting my Genesis E-325S Gas Grill (now in its 3rd Summer) ready to go.

I did a good clean at the end of last season but there was some mould etc so I went in for a bigger clean. I noticed that along the back part of the cooking box it was very thick, almost tar like grease that the plastic scraper wasn't dealing with, so I started angling it which helped and I also used my grill grate (steel) brush which dispatched most of the nastiness but then i've noticed quite a few scratches

I am not really concnered on physical appearance; that will go black again soon enough but can this damage the box? It's really hard getting all the grime off with just a plastic scraper, and I clean 2-3 times a year...

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!
Without a photo cannot visualize what you're describing

I'm sure whatever you did is fine. I periodically have used a wire brush in an angle grinder or power drill to clean the inside of my grill and it's fine. It's also a 27 year old grill at this point so I wouldn't feel bad about trying to keep it clean inside.

Hey Folks,

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!
You're fine. It's cast aluminum

Thanks guys. Meant to attach photo to first post.

I think this was all black when brand new but I certainly didn't make it that silver today and I've usually just used a plastic scraper.

1000193285.jpg

Back