SCORE!

I picked up a second WSM yesterday. Used. $80. It's pretty dirty, and needs some TLC, cleaning, and a couple Yacht Club upgrades, but all in all a good deal, and I'm thrilled!

Hard to go wrong at that price. I'm sure all the porcelain will clean up real nice. A few grates and you'll be all set. Good score!

Clark - I wish I could get a deal like that.
icon_wink.gif

Jim

Clark,

Not to get off subject but I've been debating for a long time to put an eyelet in from the

BBQ Guru site:
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp...ory=36&idproduct=136

or eyelet/grommet from Rock's BBQ:

http://rocksbarbque.com/Accessories.html

I figured the temp right under the grate is more accurate than the dome temp. Right not I just stick a Pyrex thermo through one of the vent holes it's works good except sometimes the probe can touch a rack or ribs if the WSM is full, not a big deal but just thinking.

Any one think the eyelet from either place is better than the other? I searched high and low on the internet for a hollow bolt/screw but couldn't find anything.

Jon

hey, clark
nice find, but when are you going to get out of the cold weather? and come over to Hawaii and do some cooking.. make sure you bring your rubs with you..family really liked them..if you need any thing from here just let me know. laters bro

Jon,i have used the eyelets from BBQ Guru for about 3 years now . and i like them alot. if that helps. i don't know any thing about the other product so i just don't know what to tell you it looks good..

Hey Curt! Good to hear from you again. I'm slowly using up the stuff I got from you. Too good to share with just anyone.
Have you tried any of the wood?
I spent 3 weeks in December in Hawaii in the late 80's and I couldn't wait to leave. I love this time of year in Wisconsin. I prefer the cold to the hot, because when it's hot, there are only so many clothes you can take off!
Glad your family liked the rubs.

yes, i tryed the apple and the maple. i really like them.. but like you its to good of stuff..i don't like to share it with just anyone.. sorry you didn't like the weather.maybe you should come now . it been in the low 60 for almost a month now every night..got ever blanket in the house on and i'm still cooled..
icon_biggrin.gif

Just a little update on my score.
Got it cleaned up enough to find a vent code of DH (2004). The outside of the dome had some really cooked on smegma. I was able to clean it up with rubbing compound and a carefully applied wire brush wheel on my drill, and it looks like new. Couple small porcelain chips around the rim.
Cleaned the charcoal bowl out with the wire brush wheel on my drill. Good shape there too, no chips or rust.
Disassembled the middle section, and tossed the brackets, water pan and cooking grates in a fire I built in my kettle. All of that cooked on gunk burned off, and the grates, bowl and brackets cleaned up nicely. Also scraped down the inside of the middle section to get rid of the accumulated gunk.
Yet to do: Finish cleaning outside of the middle section and charcoal bowl, going to try oven cleaner for this, as rubbing compound method is very slow. I think I am going to drill out the vent rivets so I can really clean up the vents and under the vents. Kind of icky. Then I'll polish the legs, and reassemble everything with button head stainless hardware and jam nuts. Handles for the middle section are ready to go on too. Then I'll drill the dome for a thermometer.

Matt said: "Sounds like it got some heavy use and abuse for only being 3 years old."
Yes it did. The guy works at a BBQ store and used it in comps, which is why he sold it. He said it didn't travel well. Thats why I'll rebuild it all with jam nuts. Won't work lose as easy. Besides, how much shaking is it going to do when I move it from my garage to my pit?

Clark,

You truly are a master of WSM restoration. You should write up a section on cleaning/restoring old grills and smokers. You have to take a picture of that "Cadillac" after it is restored before it's first Wyocena inaugural smoke.

Jon

I have a digital camera, and will get pictures taken, the problem is I have only dial up internet access and it takes forever to upload photos, which is why you never see me post any.
I will see what I can do though.

Back