School me on Royal Oak lump

RParker

TVWBB Member
I just picked up a used WSM 18.5" off CL.

The seller threw in 7 bags of Royal Oak lump.

What's everyone's opinion on this?

I have always been a KBB kind of guy.

It's good charcoal, may burn a little hotter but not quite as long as KBB for long burns, less ash build up. When filling the ring, make sure it is settled in good - some have reported that because of irregular shape and potential less contact between coals, you may not get a complete burn. That should not be a problem if you shake the ring when filling to settle in the coals. I have used it several times with no problem, and the length of the burn should not be a problem on the 18 1/2. I did a long brisket cook and the coals lasted over 14 hours and were still going.

I am a KBB guy too but if I was given 7 bags of royal oak i would become a royal oak guy ha.

I like it very much and can get it anytime at Walmart. I primarily use it when grilling hot but have at times used it in my BDS for low n slow and it works very well providing you do as instructed above and shake the charcoal basket to help settle the pieces and fill the gaps. Great smell and clean burn.

I use it quite often as well. I bought another charcoal grate and turned the two 90* of each other to help hold the smaller pieces up.

Last edited:
The last few bags I have used the pieces are rather small. Maybe the size of a quarter. Almost looks like Cowboy. I prefer larger chuncks. Hopefully just a bad run from the plant.

Well I am going to give it a shot tonight. I am doing a couple whole chickens. Haven't decided if I will spachkock them or not or just put on a beer can chicken holder (without can) to hold up right. Will be direct heat without water pan on the top grate of the 18" WSM at high heat.

I'll put a 2/3 chimney of KBB on the bottom and top off with the lump. Might pick up a second coal grate today too.

I love the stuff. It does have irregular sizing though. Usually I break up the larger pieces and hand build my coal bed to insure a cosistent and complete burn.

I was busy yesterday and didn't get it done so tonight was chicken time.

Spachkocked the birds after brining.

Started with a chimney of KBB and dumped some royal oak lump on top.

Cooked on top grate with no water pan.

Temps were 275-300 on the dome gage. (the top grate was very full. Most was done in one hour. The remainder left on an additional 15 was done and the temp had pegged the gage.

I use it quite often as well. I bought another charcoal grate and turned the two 90* if each other to help hold the smaller pieces up.

That's what I did too. Then used two stainless steel hose clamps to fasten the two perpendicular charcoal grates to the charcoal chamber. Lifting out the used coals by the charcoal chamber and shaking the white ash off is a piece of cake now.

I use Royal Oak Lump exclusively as my unlit coals with the minion method in the WSM, with lit KBB as the starter coals.

Yea, RO is a good decent lump for the price and I use it a lot. Watch out for the brown uncarbonized pieces cause when lit they can smell like toilet.
And yes you can find some rocks, paper or insulation in a bag , but IMO that's all part of the kiln.

Tim

I'll stick with the independent lump makers here in Missouri that Royal Oak hasn't bought out yet.
(I dislike monopolies and big companies)
Not many of them left, but Timber Charcoal, down in Salem, makes some great stuff, and they bag for the highly rated Rockwood brand as well as others.

IMGP3468.JPG

IMGP3471.JPG

I'll stick with the independent lump makers here in Missouri that Royal Oak hasn't bought out yet.
(I dislike monopolies and big companies)
Not many of them left, but Timber Charcoal, down in Salem, makes some great stuff, and they bag for the highly rated Rockwood brand as well as others.

Wonder if they sell that stuff on the east coast.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...But that pic of the timber charcoal is intriguing. Appreciate your opinion here Bob....is your pic more representative of the contents versus the pic of size distribution on naked whiz?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag110.htm
Jim,
What you see is a straight dump from the bag into a Kingsford Charcoal Kaddy.
It wouldn't hold the whole bag, and I haven't gotten to the bottom yet, so there may be more small pieces.
So far, on my first bag, it's been mostly medium size.
It is fairly hard to light, as stated in the NW test, so I'm thinking it will be good for a minion low and slow cook.

Back