Sausage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt J

TVWBB Fan
Been doing some reading about smoking sausage here and elsewhere and it's gotten me quite interested in giving it a shot. So I'd say it's a pretty good bet that I'm going to do so on Sun. Any thoughts on this endeavour? Thanks.
--MattJ

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Matt, I also was thinking of trying to smoke sausages this weekend. Are you going to do some homemade sausages or store bought? I would be interested to hear others' opinion on the best way to do this.

I like to smoke fresh Polish sausage. It takes about 2 hrs. at 225 degrees. I like to flip the sausage after about 1 hr. to brown evenly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I like to smoke fresh Polish sausage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tony,

Is this uncooked Polish Sausage ?
And what wood do you use ?

Thanks

Jim C

You guys may want to try this method. It is a great way to start making sausage without the huge investment in grinders and stuffers and casings, etc.

It is still some work as you have to roll the meat in the plastic wrap, but not nearly as intensive as stuffing.

Sausage Making the Easy Way

One of my family favorites are "Brat Boats".

Mix some kraut, ketchup, and mustard in proportions that look good to you. Cut a slit in a fresh brat, not quite from end-to-end. Work the slit open and stuff the brat with the kraut mixture. Cook on the smoker for a couple of hours. I use apple for smoke.

Sausage making is loads of fun. We make several batches a year - uncooked sausage freezes well, and it's nice to have to throw on the smoker when doing other things.

We use our Kitchenaid mixer to do both the grinding and stuffing. If I'm in a hurry I'll call the butcher to have pork butt ground, but generally I like to do it myself so I can control the meat/fat ratio. The kitchenaid isn't super fast, but it doesn't take too long to push through 7 pounds of Italian festival sausage.

As far as casings go, I rarely ever use them any more. I've really like forming the sausage into 1lb "loaves". Wrap then in original Saran Wrap or Aluminum Foil, refrigerate overnight at least (this is an important step - sausage that has rested does really taste better) then toss in the smoker just long enough to let them set up slightly - remove the foil/wrap and then smoke until done. Some recipes hold togther better than others and don't require wrapping. If you do use casings, try to soak/rinse/repeat several times, especially the salt-packed type. I even soak the man-made casings, otherwise they seem to be pretty tough.

I heartily recommend trying out sausage making. I was wary of it at first - it looks like a lot of work - but the end product is SO much better than most store-bought sausage, and it really is fun to do.

This wouldn't be a post by me if I didn't include a link to a Good Eats episode, but it's got all sorts of good stuff: A Beautiful Grind

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MattJ:
[qb]Any thoughts on this endeavour? Thanks.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!

Sausage is very easy to smoke successfully, in my opinion. I usually make a few cuts in the skin before putting them on the smoker.

Feel free to look at the pictures of my smoked sausages (link in my signature).

Happy smoking!

/Tomas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MattJ:
[qb]Any thoughts on this endeavour? Thanks.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!

Sausage is very easy to smoke successfully, in my opinion.

I usually make a few cuts in the skin before putting them on the smoker, and they take about one to two hours to smoke.

I've been using apple wood.

Feel free to look at the pictures of my smoked sausages (link in my signature).

Happy smoking!

/Tomas

I've been smoking store bought causing sausage (just salt and pepper flavored I believe) for sometime now. They are pretty good especially after you find the meat shop that makes the best batches in town. They soak up a lot of smoke in a short amount of time. I generally look for a temp of 165 which doesn't take much more than 2-3hrs. I'm also getting into making my own sausages as it's hard to find good brats, italians, and other makes of sausages in my area. I've got the book and video by Rytek Kutas on the way and will be able to barrow someone else's grinder/stuffer till I dive into this hobby. Nice thing is I'll be able to make my own hamburger and suasage patties along with meat loaf and so forth. The possibilities can be endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back