Sauce for brisket w/TXBBQ Rub?

Kirk Boorman

TVWBB Super Fan
Trying Texas BBQ rub for the first time tonight. Personally, I'm not that worried about any sauce, but I have guests coming that expect some kind of sauce with their BBQ. Any suggestions? I think some type of finishing sauce to serve on the side might be nice, and maybe one that will go with shredded point for sammies. TIA, Kirk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thom Emery:
How did the Texas rub do </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thom - this stuff is absolutely the best rub I've ever cooked with!!! I still enjoy experimenting with my own rubs, but haven't been able to come even close to the TexasBBQRub stuff.

Russ
I belive your right
Got some Grilling Magic it was great
Ribs are on now yes man
Bill knows what hes doin with his Rubs

Well, here's my take on the Texas BBQ rub (#2 - brisket rub). I must say, it couldn't be any simpler. No marinating, no basting, no peeking for at least 12 hrs and the flavor was pretty durn good! It was very tasty, not too spicy and definately worth trying. However... the meat was somewhat dry. Now this was probably my fault, as I'm still getting the hang of briskets (this was only my 3rd). It was a 10 lb packer that cooked at 225 for almost 16 hrs with a 3 hr period overnight that inadvertently got to 245 or more. Since I didn't have a spare cooler, I wrapped it in foil and put it back in the cooker (fat side down unfortunately) and shut down the vents to let it rest for about 2 hrs. The point was juicy and ready to come apart in my hands, but the flat was too dry and crumbly. I'm still having trouble using my insta - read therms, and I'm sure this didn't help. After 16 hrs, the highest temp registered was only 180, which would indicate that it wasn't done yet. Fortunately, I also check with a toothpick to verify what the therm is telling me, and the toothpick said it was done. Oh well, not a total disaster, but I am looking forward to some juicy slices next time.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestion on the sauce Kevin!

No, I didn't foil during cooking although I may try it next time since this is my 2nd brisket that I thought was too dry. The point was great on both, but the flat just wasn't juicy at all. The next cook will be with a remote thermometer and hopefully that will help me keep better track of what's going on.

Back