San Diego BBQ

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
I was visiting San Diego last month and someone recommended Phil's BBQ. We went twice and the food is outstanding. It is in the Mission Hills area At Goldfinch St near the intersection of Washington St. See http://www.philsbbq.com/

John

Man I got to get over there. Everyone raves about the place.
What items did you have? I hear their ribs are the best in California and want to compare them to mine sometime soon.

The ribs are wonderful. Get there early. He does a lot of take-out, but there are tables in the back room. He does not sell alcoholic drinks. But you can take your food to a local restuarent & bar two doors away where you can get a drink. They welcome all Phil's customers with their food at the bar. Phil is originally from Ohio and he spotted my Boston accent as soon as I spoke.

I fully believe that any average BBQist here on this board can do way better than Phils.

I have had many get togethers for the past 5-6 years and everyone liked my ribs over Phils.

Santa Fe BBQ in Encinitas is pretty good but home made BBQ with love tops all usually.

Yes a backyard guy witha wsm and this board can top those joints I know my sis in law tells me "Why this is better than Apple Bees"
LOL everytime they eat here

Thom

Are you a golfer? Do your ribs always break toward Indio?
icon_wink.gif

Sorry to resurrect and old post but after years and years of living in San Diego, I finally visited the Phil's over near the Sport's Arena.
I gotta side with Jeff on this one. Was expecting a taste explosion of wonderfulness but was sadly disappointed instead. The stuff I casually make in my backyard is way better then this stuff and these guys pack the house for some reason.
Am still looking for a BBQ joint in San Diego that doesn't rely on drowning their BBQ in sauce. What is the point of smoking a good piece of meat if you are going to hide the flavors with a gallon of sauce? Use the sauce to enhance rather then smother.
But in Phil's defense, it was the best franchise BBQ I've tasted so far. Still sticking with my own grub for now.

Back