S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a tip if you're cutting holes in the bottom...use the steamer insert for a template for nice even holes
icon_wink.gif

Hello all, this is my first post. I have just finished my mini WSM yesterday.

miniWSM_done.jpg

I have detailed plans on how I made my smoker on my website (with more pictures)
my mini wsm plans
I owe much thanks to all the users of this forum for their detailed suggestions and opinions on mini WSM construction. Actually, at the time of this post I am thinking of modifying my grill once more. Currently, I have an aluminium charcoal ring and vent filter, but I fear it will melt. As luck would have it, on my way into work today I found some steel pallet tie downs in a dumpster, so off to the machine shop today and I should have a steel charcoal ring and vent filter.

I plan on testing it this weekend, first with a test burn sans meat, and then a pork butt for the Badger-Nebraska game on Saturday.

Nice job Tim and welcome to the forum. I just built mine and did the test burn last night. Will get pics soon. Looks like Lampe has stopped by your place and ruined your nice paint job with that awful sticker.
icon_wink.gif
Oh boy, wait till he sees that one!

Tim, I love the stencil Idea! Great looking smoker, obvious a lot of thought went into it! Good luck with the 1streal smoke, you won't believe how easy it is to dial these little things in!
Shane, you should know by now, if we don't have pics, it didn't happen!!(ha ha)
icon_wink.gif
Good luck with your mini, I'm certain you will love it!
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

So my smoker is running now, I filled it up half with hot charcoal and half un lit (minion method). I had some old lighter fluid impregnated charcoal that I used for this purpose ( burning off any nasty paint or oil residues from the metals I used to construct my cooker). One thing I learned - with lighter fluid impregnated charcoal just because copious amount of flames are coming off the coals does not mean they are lit -- my charcoal went out on me after 5 minutes and I had to relight them and wait until they changed color to white. Definitely will not be using that charcoal for cooking, you can really smell the lighter fluid -> ewww.

Welcome ......good job on your smoker.....I know you will love it......w need some pics of that smoke.

Been trying to figure out how to put 'Roll Tide" on mine...thanks for the idea.

Just finished my Mini Smoker. Thanks for everyone on the recommendations and inspirations. Now to start the first priming smoke.

qmyw4k.jpg

More Mini Rotisserie madness!
Teriyaki Pork tenderloin with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin
IMG_4359.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4369.jpg

IMG_4371.jpg

IMG_4373.jpg

Lemon Garlic chicken with Plowboys Jerk wings
IMG_4389.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4394.jpg

Reverse Seared Kobe/Bacon burgers with Butcher BBQ Texas Steak seasoning
IMG_4395.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

Whats cookin'on your Mini?

Walmart is showing stock on the 32qt IMUSA pot. I'm hoping its the China import (ordered).

Edit: It is the China import and does fit, though I had hoped it would be a bit tighter.

I had seen the thread here, and I was walking through Wal-mart and I saw the pot and I figured I had to buy it. So I took it to work and cut off the bottom. I painted it up and it is good to go. I haven't smoked anything yet. I plan to mod the SJS to the SJG. I'm happy with the look, I just need to get time to cook in it.

dsc05796a.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05797u.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05798v.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

I did put coals in it just to cook the paint. it got that golden color on the inside. As always Phoebe is there to help.

Brian

I used 8-32's with a finish washer on the outside and a T-nut style nut on the inside. I got it all at ace, everything is stainless. I liked the look of the finish washer. It looked.....finished.

Brian

Originally posted by Jimmy Eng:
Is there a good reason why I shouldn't attempt to cook 2 briskets on 2 racks in this mini smoker?

No.

The only thing you need to do is switch them half way through.

Jay

Originally posted by Shaun R:
Nice job Brian, what type of paint did you use. It looks as nice as the SJ's does.

I used Dupont Centari paint with hardener. The hardener is meant for high heat applications. It is a three part enamel paint. It sprays nice and dries glass smooth. It smells just like old model paint. After it was dry for three days I did a 4 hour burn in the smoker just to cook the paint and I'm glad I did. For the first two hrs it really smelled strong like paint but the next two hrs it was fine and had no smell. I just touched up a redhead with some centari, I'll post pictures later.

Brian

I built one of these some time ago but noticed a leak on the last cook I did. The leak is between the bottom of the pot and the bowl of the SJ. Tried to make a foil gasket around the bowl and the pot bottom. Seems like the lid for the SJ seems to fit a tad loose on the bowl as well. Has anyone run into this problem? I have the IMUSA pot from China. Was still able to cook on it ok, but the coals take a long time to extinguish after the cook is done, probably because of the air leak which continues to feed the fuel.

Originally posted by ashish debroy:
I built one of these some time ago but noticed a leak on the last cook I did. The leak is between the bottom of the pot and the bowl of the SJ. Tried to make a foil gasket around the bowl and the pot bottom. Seems like the lid for the SJ seems to fit a tad loose on the bowl as well. Has anyone run into this problem? I have the IMUSA pot from China. Was still able to cook on it ok, but the coals take a long time to extinguish after the cook is done, probably because of the air leak which continues to feed the fuel.
I'm noticing a lack the ability to control the fire when both vents (gold) are fully closed so I'm going to try a nomex gasket on the bottom curve of the pot. I had considered just cutting the bottom of the pot off and just going straight in to the SJ bottom section but I think I'll try this first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back