S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by glen jones:
I drilled mine and am very happy with it.I use a 12 inch aluminum pizza pan that I cover with foil.
Like JHUNTER says....different strokes ....
Whatever you do ,when you finish you will have a fine little smokin machine.

Originally posted by JHunter:
Different strokes for different folks. But I would drill the holes first and see if you like it. (I didn't as it dirty and limits how much charcoal you can put in). If you don't like it, you can always cut the rest away and make the big hole. (My preference because its simple and clean.

Ok thanks guys I will try try the drill method first. What is the max temp that these little guys max out at?

I have been reading this thread for the past week. I found a Tamale steamer at Target and ordered the SJG from Amazon. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can begin the build.

I have a WSM 18, a charbroil double-chef ( although built out of inferior materials may be BETTER designed than the WSM. And a SJG MINI,!
For my 2 person family I'm cooking on the mini about 90% of the time! It's idiot proof, thankfully for me!

Originally posted by Rick Learned:
I have been reading this thread for the past week. I found a Tamale steamer at Target and ordered the SJG from Amazon. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can begin the build.
Welcome to the forum and welcome to your new smoker! I hope you find it as useful as I find mine.

My mini sees more service than my WSM or kettle. I wouldn't give up any of them as they all have their uses, but the mini covers a lot of them.

Welcome.....Like John Ford I have a CharBroil Double chef.We are empty nesters and this little mini smoker is great for that.It can cook for more though.
I know you are going to enjoy this little rascal.
Feel free to ask questions.....some on here have got it down pat.
It's kindda "set and forget it".

I purchased a smokey Joe on CL for 5 bux and due to seller modification I got a SJG bottom and a SJS top. I think it will work out perfectly. I have looked in my area SE Michigan and I guess there are not enough hispanics to allow for local tamale pots. I have seen the ones online, Target $20 and Walmart $23. I have read almost this entire thread and it seems like the one @ Walmart is a sure hit as it will be made in china. Does that sound right before I pull the trigger?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I know the one for walmart works,because thats the one I ordered.I had it shipped to my local store free.
I do beleieve the one from Target is the same.
Good luck on your order

J Boldt, try Sturgis Mi WalMart - they listed as limited stock online, but I am sure if you call customer service they will check stock and hold it for you if they have some. They did that for me a while back. Not too terribly far from SE Mich.

Originally posted by Brad L:
J Boldt, try Sturgis Mi WalMart - they listed as limited stock online, but I am sure if you call customer service they will check stock and hold it for you if they have some. They did that for me a while back. Not too terribly far from SE Mich.

Brad, thanks for the recommendation but Stergis is a litte too far to pick up a pot. Target will not ship it to my store for free like Walmart. Out the door it would cost me 34, my problem is, I don't want to get the on made in columbia and have it not fit. Ugh.....

Originally posted by J Boldt:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad L:

Brad, thanks for the recommendation but Stergis is a litte too far to pick up a pot. Target will not ship it to my store for free like Walmart. Out the door it would cost me 34, my problem is, I don't want to get the on made in columbia and have it not fit. Ugh..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ran into this same problem myself but eventually did find a very good source http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...071029495#5071029495 here. I am trying to point to a post I made some time ago on the board but I am not sure if this will work as I have not done this before.
Mike

Originally posted by WalterWhite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meho S:

I ran into this same problem myself but eventually did find a very good source http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...071029495#5071029495 here. I am trying to point to a post I made some time ago on the board but I am not sure if this will work as I have not done this before.
Mike
Your link is broken. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it is, I just clicked on Melo's profile and looked at all his posts. I think he was referring to the one about Chef Latino.

Originally posted by J Boldt:

Yeah it is, I just clicked on Melo's profile and looked at all his posts. I think he was referring to the one about Chef Latino.
Ah... I could have done that.
icon_wink.gif
I think he means this one: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...071029495#5071029495

Originally posted by WalterWhite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Boldt:

Ah... I could have done that.
icon_wink.gif
I think he means this one: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...071029495#5071029495 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry 'bout that messed up link guys!

Mike

I'm just about to start building my mini but having a hard time locating another 13.5 inch grate. Is it preferable to have two grates or does most folks go with only one?
Thanks

J, I called 6 of them all around me and none have it in stock. Of course they can order it and get it next week but you know the feeling, right? this is my new toy and I want to build it right now!!
icon_smile.gif
Also has anyone used the steamer plate which comes with the pot as a heat shield? Seems like it might work, perfect fit and already full of holes?
Thanks all!

Gerry, If you have the pot and all that, build it for 2 racks and just put in the added one when it comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back