S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received mine from amazon / target. Also from Columbia. Taking it back today. Does anyone have a new source or pot to use?

mini_smoker.jpg

I built mine today using the IMUSA steamer found at Walmart. Photo is during initial burn in.

Looking forward to getting this little guy and his big brother going at the same time.
icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Meho S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom L:
I just received mine from amazon / target. Also from Columbia. Taking it back today. Does anyone have a new source or pot to use?

Please try here: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...071029495#5071029495 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chef Latino is no longer in the business of selling pots. I did find this site and they swear that they carry the ones made in China.

www.HomeVillage.us

Originally posted by Greg Vaillancourt:
mini_smoker.jpg

I built mine today using the IMUSA steamer found at Walmart. Photo is during initial burn in.

Looking forward to getting this little guy and his big brother going at the same time.
icon_cool.gif

Greg, how did you do the bottom of the pot? Did you cut out the entire bottom or just put holes in it? I should be getting mine soon and want to make sure I do it the correct way.

Originally posted by J Boldt:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meho S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom L:

Please try here: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...071029495#5071029495 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chef Latino is no longer in the business of selling pots. I did find this site and they swear that they carry the ones made in China.

www.HomeVillage.us </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice work! Thank you, Mike

Made one yesterday. Got the pot at Target

view from inside. drilled more holes in the steamer plate to use to hold clay pot

269628_146347222106918_139456032796037_296293_649708_n.jpg

This is for a buddy. easy to put together, we piddled around a bit though getting the right tools. a grinder of some sort is needed to debur the cutout in the bottom.

Next to my 22
262273_146347412106899_139456032796037_296298_6467907_n.jpg

Chris, the smoker looks good. What thermometer did you use in the side of the mini? I still haven't decided on the on I want to mount in mine.
I have been reading where IMUSA has stopped manufacturing the tomale pot in China. Sinca building 2 minis, (one for myself and the other as a gift for my brother in law) I have had several requests to build more. Not wanting to miss out, I went to my local Wal mart this evening, and presto, there was the 29qrt steamer (made in China!) So now I have on to place on the shelf to be made into a gift in the near future. KEEP LOOKING guys, there are still some Chinese made IMUSA steamers waiting to be found!
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Chris, the smoker looks good. What thermometer did you use in the side of the mini? I still haven't decided on the on I want to mount in mine.
I have been reading where IMUSA has stopped manufacturing the tomale pot in China. Sinca building 2 minis, (one for myself and the other as a gift for my brother in law) I have had several requests to build more. Not wanting to miss out, I went to my local Wal mart this evening, and presto, there was the 29qrt steamer (made in China!) So now I have on to place on the shelf to be made into a gift in the near future. KEEP LOOKING guys, there are still some Chinese made IMUSA steamers waiting to be found!
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim, I posted earlier an e-mail that I had with the President of IMUSA and for clarity he said the ones in Columbia were no longer being manufactured. The ones in China still are. You can see his exect words, I think it is posted on page 36 of this thread.

We were at Home depot and they had a Charbroil Thermometer for 9 bucks so we grabbed it. Nothing special other than it was cheap and seemed to read the ambient air temp about right.

the Target one fit fine at the bottom but the ring around the top of the pot is like 1/16th" too wide. the wide still sits on it but not 100% perfect. we though just running the grinder along the edge lightly would totally make up enough room.

Originally posted by Chris Bjork:
We were at Home depot and they had a Charbroil Thermometer for 9 bucks so we grabbed it. Nothing special other than it was cheap and seemed to read the ambient air temp about right.

the Target one fit fine at the bottom but the ring around the top of the pot is like 1/16th" too wide. the wide still sits on it but not 100% perfect. we though just running the grinder along the edge lightly would totally make up enough room.

Chris,

Did you get the one made in China or Columbia?

honestly I didnt look. I thought it was straight foreward that target had the one and wallmart had the other. My buddy said he checked online and target was the only place that had it instock so we went there. Ironically, I do have one picture of the label and I put it into photoshop to super zoom in but the camera had just came from in the house and it was super humid out and there was just enough fog on the lens that you cant make anything out

Hi everyone. This is my first post but I've been reading this forum for a while. I decided to do the smoker mod and set out to find the IMUSA steamer pot. None of our local Walmarts or Targets sell it. Finally at Bi-Mart I found a pot that looked exactly like the IMUSA pot. I took it over to their BBQ's and test fitted it to a Smokey Joe Silver. It was a perfect fit. It's branded as Hoffritz but I'm fairly sure it rolled of the same Chinese assembly line as IMUSA. The label does say Made in China. Bottom and top fit exactly and the hole pattern on the steamer tray is an exact match to the IMUSA pot. Here's a pic, including some possible future smokees.

IMG_5465.jpg

Originally posted by Branon S.:

This is my heat sync: 1 cake pan from the 99 Cent store and a clay saucer from Walmart. I foiled the bottom of each and them foiled the top. This mimics how I have my big wsm set up.
MiniWSM2-20-10020.jpg

MiniWSM2-20-10021.jpg

MiniWSM2-20-10022.jpg

MiniWSM2-20-10023.jpg
What is the purpose of having a metal pan and a clay pot?

Gary, I know a lot of people choose to go with the clay pot and a pie tin as well. I'm really not sure why. I simply cut the steamer tray (that came with the pot) down to size, foiled it, and that is all the heat shield I need. Like many others, I purchased the saucer,and used it the first time I used my mini. But then I realized that it was using up fuel heating up the clay saucer. (so I think) right or wrong, I'm not sure. But I do know that the last time I smoked a butt on my mini, it gave me over 9 hrs @ +/- 235*! (using Stubbs briquettes) The great thing about this little smoker is that there really is no right or wrong way to build it, find what works for you, and smoke on!!!!
Good luck, Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Took delivery of a Chinese made IMUSA 32-qt. steamer today from HomeVillage.us and it's an exact fit.

http://www.homevillage.us/im32qtcoalst.html

It was $50 shipped but I'd rather pay $20 to ship it rather than $30 in gas driving around to not find one.

The conversion starts tomorrow on my SJG to turn it into an ABT machine.

Mine pot from Home Village came in today but I am on vacation so I will have to wait until I get home to build mine.

I got one from Target and it was a no go on fit, too big around. So I tried this one and it works perfectly, slightly more expensive but has free shiping from Amazon so at least for me it was cheaper than driving around trying to find one somewhere. It also has black plastic pieces on the handles that stay cool while smoking and a round black plastic handle on the lid unlike the picture on Amazon? Not sure why.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00194DVJI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back