Running a remote thermometer into WSM

Aaron Burton

Hello, I first post on tvwbb... Love the site, all kinds of great info.
Question regarding how to run the probe from my remote thermomter into the WSM... I have the 18.5" and I bought a Redi-Check Smoker Thermomter with a probe to monitor the meat and smoker temp (ET-73)... The smoker probe is pretty short, maybe 2'. My plan was to run both out of the top vent hole, but this short probe might make the tough... The only other option is to run it out of the lid, which would keep it from closing all the way (or could damage the probe), and I'm afraid that could mess up the lid seal and make my temp management difficult. How are you all running your wires? Pictures?
Hopefully this makes sense and thanks in advance.

The popular method has been to use the BBQ Guru eyelets (scroll down about 2/3 of the page) You'll find other suggestions on that page and here Check the modifications section of the website.

Have fun, welcome to the board.

I just dangle the smoker temp probe through the top vent, and run the meat probe through the door, so I can use it on the top or bottom rack as required. It causes a small gap, but it really is minimal and doesn't cause me any issues with airflow.

Aaron,While I don't have the Maverick,I just run the cable underneath the lid. I put the lid on carefully,and have never had an issue.

I use a Maverick. Smoker probe dropped in the lid. Food probe under the lid. No issues of any kind.

Put the door on upside down and run the wire through what is now the upper corner. There is a little gap that the wire can easily fit through.

I cut/grinded a 1/8 wide notch in the middle section at top end to allow mulitiple cables to rest in the notch without getting in the way of the top dome. Much easier to remove or place the cables as opposed to routing through an eyelet or the openings in the top section.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
I use a Maverick. Smoker probe dropped in the lid. Food probe under the lid. No issues of any kind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. No problems after 2 yrs of use.

Tim

Thanks for the replies... Smoked a turkey on Friday and a brisket on Saturday. Both turned out good for me being a rookie, the brisket was a bit dry, but still got a lot of good comments from family (although that could have been the beer talking). The maverick seemed to work well once i figured out exactly how far to dangle the smoker probe into the top vent. Seemed to make a big difference if you put it too far down or too close to the vent hole. The food probe threw me off a little as well, do you all leave it in during the entire cook? Reason I ask is because it seemed to read a bit high, meaning after I "re-probed" towards the end of the cook, the temp was much lower (per the maverick) than I thought it was from the last probe... Although like I said, the brisket was a bit dry so I think I may have slightly over cooked.
Thanks again for the replies!!
happy holidays

Dangle the smoker probe only. Leave all the wire outside of the vent. I usually don't insert the food probe until well into the cook. No sense knowing that the meat is at 55* when I know I have some hours to go. Others certainly insert the probe at the start.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dangle the smoker probe only. Leave all the wire outside of the vent. I usually don't insert the food probe until well into the cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly. Ditto here. And for food that is being cooked to a less-than-pasteurized internal temp (many beef and pork roasts that one is not taking to well done or fall-apart) it is safer, food safety-wise, to insert the meat probe well into the cook.

I've been running my dual probes under the lid for years with no problems. Always do two turkeys at once at Thanksgiving and it works great.

Back