Rub Suggestions

when I first started smoking I would make my own cause I didn't know which kind to buy. Right now I am testing out different rubs to see which ones I like.

I ordered some Smoking Guns sweet heat and used it on split chicken and spare ribs last weekend. I liked this rub. I used it on some boneless skinless chicken breasts that I made in the frying pan and they tasted pretty good too. I like the sweet type of rubs I guess. I would order this one again.

For ribs I use a one-two punch from Butcher's BBQ: Honey Rub first then Premium Rub on top, both layered fairly heavily. Deeeeelish. For brisket, 50-50 kosher salt/coarse cracked black pepper, a dash of cayenne, a teaspoon of ancho powder, a teaspoon of expresso coffee and a whole lotta love. I may or may not inject with Butcher's brisket injection or Fab-B Lite; usually if I'm cooking for 4 or 5 people I won't inject but if I'm cooking for a party then I will.

For pork butt, either Butcher's Premium, Meathead's Magic Dust, or A Butt Rub for Jane. They're all good!

I never season chicken; I like it plain with just KC Masterpiece at the end--and frankly I prefer to grill chicken, not smoke.

I haven't tried a brisket yet. Is there much of a difference between injected brisket and non injected brisket?

When smoking chicken I put leg quarters or the split chickens on there. No wings, drumsticks, thighs, I prefer individual cuts to be grilled.

Any good dry rubs that anyone suggests?

I really like Slap Yo Daddy's All Purpose Rub and it has been the rub I have mostly used but its time to try new rubs. ?

At a Walmart In Fort Worth, TX I have bought many times the excellent rub "Slap YA Mama" Rub Brand which is a Cajun Seasoning from Ville Platte, LA. I was not aware that there is a "Slap Yo Daddy's" All Purpose Rub Brand. Where is this Rub made??

Last edited:
In addition to his Rubs, Harry also has his own Sauce.
Richard... Many on this forum have attended Harry Soo's class, aka Slap Yo Daddy BBQ Team.
Sauces and Rubs made right here in the US of A.

Back