Rub for Both Baby Back and Spare Ribs

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All,

I decided that I wanted to do a side-by-side rib comparison between Backs and Spares. I got a rack of Baby Back and a rack of Spare. Since I am comparing them, I want to eliminate the rub as a variable.

What is a good rub to go with both of them?

This is one of Chris Lilly's recipes (of Big Bob Gibson's). It's one of my staples, and is a very good rub. For the rest of the recipe that this rub came rub, see HERE

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
1 teaspoon cumin

Thank- you! One question: I am out of brown sugar, but I do have raw (turbinado) sugar - would that be an okay substitute?

Best Ribs Yet!

I used the rub you suggested, Keri, on both racks and I really liked it.

Overall, both racks of ribs were the best examples of either kind that I have yet to produce.

I smoked them both for about 4 hours, then I foiled them. I foiled the baby back rack for about 55 minutes, and the spare rack for about 1 hour and 25 minutes. When I pulled each one out of the foil, I added more dry rub, but with an increased ratio of raw sugar.

I smoked the baby back for about an hour more, for a total of 6 hours in total, and I smoked the spare for another 1 hour and 30 minutes for about 7 hours in total.

The were tasty, a deep dark red, and tender but not falling off the bone.

You could take a bite, pull away and leave the rest of the meat. Same with the spare rack as well.

This was the first time I thought my ribs might be able to stand a chance in a comp, and I would have been proud to serve them to anyone on this list.

Overall, I think I like the baby back ribs slightly better than the spares - though the it is almost like comparing apples and oranges.

In the end, I would be happy to have either kind on my WSM smoking away!

Back